Brisket wrap test: foil vs butcher paper

Baby Back Maniac

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So the title sorta speaks for itself.

We did a side by side comparison of 2 prime grade briskets from Costco. Wrapped one in foil and one in butcher paper and then compared the difference.*225 the entire time on the pellet grill.

This was one of the funnest cooks I've filmed at my house. You'll see why when you watch. This really is a great hobby. Burnt ends clip at the very end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-88rTFaynAQ&t=

edit*- mods, for some reason, I can't get the link to embed. Not sure what I did wrong. Sorry.

Last edited:
So the title sorta speaks for itself.

We did a side by side comparison of 2 prime grade briskets from Costco. Wrapped one in foil and one in butcher paper and then compared the difference.*225 the entire time on the pellet grill.

This was one of the funnest cooks I've filmed at my house. You'll see why when you watch. This really is a great hobby. Burnt ends clip at the very end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-88rTFaynAQ&t=

edit*- mods, for some reason, I can't get the link to embed. Not sure what I did wrong. Sorry.

You haven't done anything wrong. We've all been having this problem as of late!!:mad:

Nice work.

interesting that you had a really good smoke flavor when most say that pellets don't have much of it.

Great video and real nice camera work. What kind of camera are you using? Also curious about fat up or down when they smoked and when they were wrapped.

Boy they both looked great. Nice bark, juicy, tender, and they even smelled wonderful!

Keep up the great work!

interesting that you had a really good smoke flavor when most say that pellets don't have much of it.

I used to say that too. I've heard SO many companies claim they dialed in their pellet smoker to get a thicker smoke profile that I kinda tuned it out when MAK said the same thing. Kinda like "Yeah, yeah...I'm sure it's great." but I really wasn't expecting anything.

This is VERY different. There is a very apparent smoke flavor even in a cook like this when we wrapped and never used the smoke setting at all. It has more to do with just the controller. I think the whole cooker is designed to work that way. It's cool...and like I said I totally didn't expect it, and Troy didn't either apparently. lol.

Great video and real nice camera work. What kind of camera are you using? Also curious about fat up or down when they smoked and when they were wrapped.

Most of this was shot on a Canon 80D. We wrapped them after 9 hours (ish) once the bark was set. I think they were around 160 internal but I don't remember exactly.

Paper or foil test

What internal temp did you pull the briskets at ? And how long were they in the cooler before you sliced them ?

I forgot... Those briskets were spot on for me. Juicy and just barely holding together.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Everything looks incredible. Thanks for you time. But a serious question. When you opened the smoker it had so much whiterish (sp?) smoke. Do pellet smokers do this normally?

Back