007 appreciation thread

I did one last Summer on mine...never been a big brisket person though but chuckies is another story. :-D The 007 will turn out anything incredible though including brisket.

Yair . . .

Thanks fellers.

I have been mulling over this concept of cooking in the contained updraft of a wood fire for years and have never gotten around to building a jigger.

Good work . . . and I like the idea of the side pivoting cook grate.

Would you close the gap up a bit for long cooks if cooking on a grate and not the roti?

I see that roti drum has no air inlets down the bottom, is that standard for the concept?

Cheers.

Good work . . . and I like the idea of the side pivoting cook grate. Would you close the gap up a bit for long cooks if cooking on a grate and not the roti? I see that roti drum has no air inlets down the bottom, is that standard for the concept? Cheers.
With the 4" gap between the top of the drum and the cooking grate, you pretty much eliminate burning your food. As long as your paying attention. With the lid on top of the cooking grate w/4" gap, the top side of the meat browns/cooks more than you'd think. I use my intakes to help regulate the temps I want to cook at. More air = more fire. When doing the roto, you don't really need the intakes once your fire is up and running. The draft of in/out air works quite well. But again, if you want higher temps. Use intakes. Hope that makes sense.
Example: before flipping

bottom side after flipping

The darker thighs were coated in Mayo, the other half, just rub.

Scrub, Mine does have 4 intake holes. They are 3/4 inch. I would like them bigger and adjustable for control but they do work.

Now back to 007 appreciation.

Duel cooks are fun

Version 1.0 I had four 3/4" intakes but that was before she was converted into a full fledged 007, Version 2.0 has only three 3/4" intakes. Now it depends on the wood, size splits, what temp area I want, and even weather is to if I want any air opened up during the cook. I usually open at least 2 when starting but when the fire is started close them up or maybe leave 1 open. Bottom line is it just "depends" on lots of different variables but I'd say largely the bottom air gets closed after the fire starts.

Back