Are there any good "long burning" charcoals?

mjr

Knows what a fatty is.
I've used Kingsford Long Burn before, but apparently they don't make it anymore.

I heard of this charcoal called "Jealous Devil" (or something like that), but don't know much about it.

I've used both lump and briquette, but I do prefer natural, either way.

I've been getting better at the briskets. I still go back and forth on what temperature I use, but I have gotten better. Last couple of briskets I made were more tender and juicy than previous ones, so I'm getting closer to what I'm looking for.

jealous devil is the best lump on the market, hands down. burns clean, lights with 0 sparking, smells right. never tested burn time with it tho, i just...cook stuff lol

Jealous Devil briquettes are also great!

B&B logs. Hands the best "molded" charcoal. No additives, no chemicals. They start slow but run forever. Anything B&B has been stellar. My local ACE carries all the B&B offering and all have been awesome.

Just like the bags say "A little goes a long way"

7cncr8th.jpg

When it comes to lump the green bag. Again burn hot, burn long and very little spark at start up.

attachment.php

From personal experience for over 25 years....

Lump charcoal burns hotter because it is almost pure carbon, so with proper airflow management you'll get a longer burn time.

From a small 8 lb bag of lump, I get a 14 hour burn in my Down East Beast with plenty of orange coals to add more lump if needed.

The downside is that lump charcoal is very fragile. People often complain that the manufacturer puts in small pieces; but that is not the case, it breaks up with poor handling and shipping after it leaves the production facility. I wrote programs for the Programmable Logic Circuits in a temporary packaging facility after Katrina. Lump manufacturers also have a line of briquette charcoal and the small pieces and the dust is diverted to briquette production.

Always take bags of lump from the center of the pallet. Gently rotate the bag to listen for excessive breakage. Get to know the department manager (I take mine vac-sealed BBQ) and he'll take a fresh pallet off the storage racks and let me pick and choose all the center bags. He even call me when he gets a new pallets delivered.

But it also looks like I might be trying the "Char-Logs". I've never seen them before.

Will those work in a bullet-style smoker? I have a Weber Smokey Mountain.

Yes...works very well in my WSM...I usually start with a small amount reg B&B lump...and feed it with the logs.

I agree, B&B Char-Logs are the longest I've used. I've only used them in my Offset and not in my Kettles though, but I'm sure they would work great.

jealous devil is the best lump on the market, hands down. burns clean, lights with 0 sparking, smells right. never tested burn time with it tho, i just...cook stuff lol

Saw Jealous Devil at Home Depot today so figured better check it out.

I'll second B&B for everyday use. I usually buy a bag of fogo or jealous devil here and there. I recently did a pork shoulder in my backwoods chubby g3 and filled it with B&B oak. I got 12 hours out of the cook, where I'd say I get about 10ish with KBB.

Char logs are fantastic! Works really, really well in the Santa Maria....it chits the bed in the IVS.

Bummer to hear that, I wanted to try a bag out.

I use the B&B Competition Oak Briquets and love them, long burn, moderate ash, no bad flavors or smells.

Back