• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Best Rub w/Mustard Sauce

mrPalomar

Reaction score
I'm doing pulled pork tomorrow and am going to try out SoFlaQuer's Carolina Mustard Sauce from this thread. Does anyone have any recommendations for a rub that goes well with mustard sauce? I'm tempted to go with something that is primarily sweet with a little bit of heat but not much in the way of other spices. Any ideas?

Honestly, I would just use your normal rub. Most places that serve mustard based bbq sauce don't change the meat or the rub, they just bring a different bbq sauce to the table.

And yes, I love the mustard based sauces but my family doesn't so I am out of luck most of the time.

Rub it with mustard to hold on lots of salt and pepper. The mustard will hold the other while cooking off. Or just use lots of salt and coarse black pepper. You're adding lots of flavor later.

Be sure to cook your sauce too -- most of the mustard recipes I've used taste way better after the apple cider vinegar cooks off a bit and the sugars and other flavors melt into the mustard, softening its edges. I put mine in cast iron and stick it in the smoker for a couple of hours. Here's a pic!
IMG_4230.jpg

Nice! I like the idea of cooking the sauce on the smoker. Wish I'd have thought of it!

Back