New Masterbuilt Gravit Feed

Here's a question ..........

Why is this Masterbuilt gravity feed preferable over a WSM with an ATC ?

What can the gravity feed do, that the WSM/ATC can't ?

My reasoning went like this;
MB 560 is one unit that will sear, grill, and go low & slow automatically. 560 sq in cooking area. One purchase, one assembly, $500.
WSM 22” is $440 (380 sq in) plus the ATC and that install/assembly. Don’t think it works well as a grill.
I had an old BKSD, couple old gassers, couple 22” Weber’s and a UDS. All but the UDS need work. Pre-pandemic I travelled weekly for work, leaving only the weekend for honey do’s, yard and house maintenenace, etc. The Weber Smoke Fire was my initial pick, it was supposed to do it all and get to a decent seat temp, which other pellet poopers don’t do a god job of. When I then saw the MB 560 it seemed like a good fit, especially after the reported WSF problems. I’ll keep the UDS because I built it and it doesn’t need any work the others are going to the curb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the MB can grill.

Who doesn't own a Kettle ? I have no desire to replace my Kettle as a grill. Its the workhorse of my patio.

I can add an ATC to my 18 WSM for a lot less money than the GF and get set-forget cooker when I need it.

If the WSM had this attachment would it come up to temp as fast as a PG or the MBGF?

Speed of getting up to temp, is not an issue for me in reverse searing. I only use 13 briquettes in my Kettle and it runs about 210 to 220.

When the IT of my steaks hits 80* I light a chimney of lump. By the time my steak hits 110, the lump is ready to go.

And even if the lump were not ready, it doesn't hurt to rest the steak before searing. In his steak book, Aaron Franklin recommends resting the steak 30 minutes, which I don't think is necessary and maybe a bit over kill. But there's no need being in a race to get it done.

I did not intend to run everyone off :sad:

I'm just playin Devils Advocate here cuz I'm seriously considering buying a MB 560.

But ......... an ATC on my 18 WSM would be about half the price. I was hoping to hear reasons for spending another $250 .

I did not intend to run everyone off :sad:

I'm just playin Devils Advocate here cuz I'm seriously considering buying a MB 560.

But ......... an ATC on my 18 WSM would be about half the price. I was hoping to hear reasons for spending another $250 .

OK...I'll bite...the reason I got one, was the ability of the 560 to go from 275 to 450 in a minute or two, then come back down just as quickly and with charcoal and wood. My MAK can't do that. My Primo can't do that. My WSM can't do that. Now that I have one, I've been cooking the best chicken I've ever cooked, on any of my smokers. Now, is the 560 the be all to end all? Don't know...only time will tell. Till then, I'm really having fun with it. It was certainly priced low enough for me to feel comfortable taking the chance.

My quick look into ATC a Fireboard setup looks about $280 and a 22" WSM $440. The MB 560 is pretty much a do it all, I haven't tried it all yet, but it's looking that way. Low and slow to hot and fast.
c73abf7e6200da14319cefa932c006c3.jpg

68bf63fff0c5a9e7b0df3d11c1b72566.jpg

b78cf996779542fb946da488a96f1f11.jpg

I've done some internet searching on ATC's for WSM's ........... and those are not as simple as they appear. Looks to me like they have to be fiddled with as much as manually adjusting he vents. I think I'd rather own a unit that engineers have already fine tuned.

This forum at the link may not be representative of user's experience, because those posting here are having problems and there may be many more people who have no difficulties, but anyway

https://tvwbb.com/forums/automatic-temperature-control-systems.107/

My quick look into ATC a Fireboard setup looks about $280 and a 22" WSM $440. The MB 560 is pretty much a do it all, I haven't tried it all yet, but it's looking that way. Low and slow to hot and fast.
c73abf7e6200da14319cefa932c006c3.jpg

68bf63fff0c5a9e7b0df3d11c1b72566.jpg

b78cf996779542fb946da488a96f1f11.jpg

Nice! Looks awesome! What is it about this cooker?

I have a highly modified 18" WSM with the Signals/Bellows ATC. Works flawlessly, heats up quickly, and cooks a very tasty BBQ. No complaints with the cook and resulting BBQ but... it's a bit small even for our two people family. Ribs are tight unless a vertical rack is used. Two butts are crowded but workable. The real issue is the time involved with setting up, firing up, and cleaning up. Quick cooks are not a practicality.

Enter the MB560 stage right... Simple to use, fast, easy cleaning and can sear a steak with the turn of a knob. Quick cooks are on par with my Weber gasser. Still on a learning curve with dailing in smoke and understanding temps but this thing is rock steady. The few cooks I have at this point have all been great BBQ. And this thing is just plain fun to use.

It is fun. Personally I'm trying to limit my temps to 450* and under, in hopes I won't fry anything.

My Advice: Don't leave fuel in the Hopper

Got the MB 560 yesterday. I am not new to smoking but still very much an amateur. I live in the Phoenix, AZ area (this may play a part). As noted through out the majority of this thread, it is made if cheap materials so I will not dwell too much on that.

After pre-seasoning and seasoning, I turned off the unit and put in the metal slides to block the air flow. This happened about 11 pm. I checked the burn chamber 2 hours later and the charcoal was still glowing a bit. I know it may have been careless but I went to bed as I felt the heat was contained and there were very little glowing spots.

NOTE: I woke up about 7 am and there was still tiny little embers on the coals. This surprised me as I would think they would have gone out. During the day I checked the burn chamber and there was still the tiniest little red spots. Around 3pm, I checked and thought they must be out but still little embers there. I turned the unit on, no starter material. The fan kicked on and the temp rose.

I ended up just burning the rest of the charcoal to ensure this would not continue. It may be due to my location, as it was above 100 today.

I have not had a chance to cook anything yet but feel this is a good unit for the price. I will be ensuring I only add enough fuel (or burning the left overs) for my future endeavors but feel I lucked out that nothing serious occurred.

Final note: I am in IT and will checking how secure the ATC and App are as they may not be the most secure.

All I can tell you is that this is not a sealed chute, although it's kinda supposed to be. Mine stays hot for a few hours, however it does go out. Check the seals and that's about all you can do,

I have a highly modified 18" WSM with the Signals/Bellows ATC. Works flawlessly, heats up quickly, and cooks a very tasty BBQ. No complaints with the cook and resulting BBQ but... it's a bit small even for our two people family. Ribs are tight unless a vertical rack is used. Two butts are crowded but workable. The real issue is the time involved with setting up, firing up, and cleaning up. Quick cooks are not a practicality.

About the Billows, I'm reading the top vent has to be closed 1/4 to 1/2 for it operate effectively .... is this true ? If so, the WSM does not have a lot of air flow with the top vent wide open, this has to really limit air flow.

Which is a problem I have with these gravity feeds. And air flow on my offset is part of the reason it produces good flavor.

About the Billows, I'm reading the top vent has to be closed 1/4 to 1/2 for it operate effectively .... is this true

Yeah, that's what they tell you. But it is not the idea way in my opinion.

I built a flow gate into my Billows to limit or control the amount of air involved without closing off the top vent. I did this to insure clean smoke. Throttling the top vent on a WSM does not promote clean smoke in my experience. Running about a 1/3 open on the blower and the top vent wide open gives me excellent control with Thin Blue Smoke...

That said, I'm cooking with my Masterbuilt 560 exclusively since it's purchase simply because its fun, easy, and gives good results. Temp control on the WSM is better but the MB is good once it is stable. I do use the Signals for monitoring the temp since the MB app is garbage.

We did St. Louis Memphis style dry ribs for the 4th. My wife and I think they were the best ribs we've ever had, commerical or otherwise. Certainly the best I've made.

I know the info says the masterbuilt can be at 225 deg in a few minutes...but curious as to what is the lowest temp you can run the smoker at?

Back