View Single Post
Old 06-24-2018, 12:13 PM   #63
Springram
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthamm View Post
Literally, I cut the intake and replaced the intake door with a wider one. Now I have no issues cooking with the firebox door closed and all vents open maintaining temp with a small fire. Before doing this, I had to cook with the firebox door open. I don't doubt your vertical offset drafts properly. Mine is a horizontal offset and a small one at 24x36. I have to burn a very small fire to maintain low enough temps...problem is, the smaller fire is harder to maintain with a small coal base. Before the fix, as soon as I closed the firebox door (all vents wide open), the fire would smolder. And yes...I used well aged wood (2 years aged post oak split to even smaller than coke sized diameter and about 6" long) and prewarmed splits by actually placing them inside the firebox off to the side of the fire.
Thanks for the reply. I would make sure to notify Chris at LSG that he as been been selling a poorly designed smoker all these years. Who would have known? Actually, I am of the opinion that it is more operator error involved and a lack of good fire management on your part. My insulated firebox requires small fires. just took a little practice....... Maybe BillN out in Arizona can chime in with his cooks using his 24 X 36.
Weber 22.5 Master Touch
Hunsaker drum
Weber Smokey Joe
Blackstone griddle
PK Grill (original)
Springram is offline   Reply With Quote