I’m a Believer In Baby Backs

Nice. 3-2-1 is a good place to start. Soon you'll find that 3-2-1 is just a loose guide and you'll cook ribs by sight and touch, if you don't already.
My wife doesn't like spicy either, so I look for rubs with little or no heat. Plowboys Bovine Bold has just a little heat, is savory, salty and has a mild sweetness...it's one of my favorites. For a nice sweet-savory flavor, with no heat, try Simply Marvelous Sweet Surrender...great on pork and fish and can really be piled on, cuz it has little salt. It never seems to overpower meat or fish.

Thank you! I keep seeing the name Plowboys come up over and over. I will look them up. Thanks again.

Chett, as time goes along and you get comfortable with the process, you will experiment, and that is the fun of the Art of The Q. There are so many great rubs and sauces, and different meats.
Being at this site, and the way that the Brethren help and guide each other will make the learning process easier and make you more adventerous in you cooks.
Just a suggestion, keep a Log Book of each of your cooks, it will help you remember what went right, and what didnt, and help you grow in the Art.
From what I saw, you are well on your way!!

Looks good. Pretty soon you will be giving new guys advice on how to get things done.

One rub suggestion for you: Try Killer Hogs, The BBQ Rub. It is a heavy paprika rub that is not too spicy. Great color and flavor. Sounds like it might be up your alley.

Last edited:
Chett, as time goes along and you get comfortable with the process, you will experiment, and that is the fun of the Art of The Q. There are so many great rubs and sauces, and different meats.
Being at this site, and the way that the Brethren help and guide each other will make the learning process easier and make you more adventerous in you cooks.
Just a suggestion, keep a Log Book of each of your cooks, it will help you remember what went right, and what didnt, and help you grow in the Art.
From what I saw, you are well on your way!!

Great Idea! Thank you!

Looks good. Pretty soon you will be giving new guys advice on how to get things done.

One rub suggestion for you: Try Killer Hogs, The BBQ Rub. It is a heavy paprika rub that is not too spicy. Great color and flavor. Sounds like it might be up your alley.

Ha- That's hard to grasp, me give advice.

I going to check out Killer Hogs.

If you like wine trying wrapping g them with 1/2 cup of red wine of your choice. I like Merlot and Cabernet for the flavor profile.

Back