Taking my chances with Walmart Select Brisket

They'd be in big trouble if that were true. Can't legally grade meat that isn't USDA inspected.

I agree they are properly graded and inspected. My point is that there’s considerable latitude in the process and that IMO Walmart meat is nothing to right home about, grade aside.

I can feed two animals out two different ways and they both might grade the same but not taste the same.

Just a little anti Wally Mart rant from me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the reminder, Jim. You're now going to have a bit more competition snaring up those rt 117 Wally World briskets. I completely forgot they stock them.

:mrgreen:

LOL I found them in Hudson and Gardner so far. :)

Think some of y’all don’t Understand How Beef is Graded.........

I don't know a lot about it. IIRC I thought they grade the entire cow or the side or something like that and so you can have a lot of variation in the cuts. I don't really remember. But I know there is a lot of variation. When I buy Choice steaks I look for great marbling and usually I find something that is closer to prime. It's not as easy with an huge packer brisket but I've been lucky so far.

I had seen choice brisket in this Walmart just a few weeks prior. That was the reason I stopped to look. All they had was Select the last few weeks.

The Walmart in my area tends to be about 50/50 if you root around in the bin full of briskets, and they're all priced the same whether Select or Choice.

i'm about to do a 15 lb brisket from walmart. went to three different cotsco's and they didnt have any packers. we will see how it goes.

I cooked select for years as that is all I thought I could afford. If you baby them along cooking you can get a good brisket. Then It dawned on me that for maybe $5-6 more you can get a better choice brisket.

If you going to spend 8-12 hours smoking one go ahead and pop for the choice. However don't let in take away from you buying/drinking beer.

One thing to keep in mind...

The carcass is graded based on a sample taken from the ribeye primal, not the brisket, so, a brisket from a select carcass could be 'better' than one from a prime carcass. I just depends on the cow and the marbling.

Yes, you have a better shot at getting a better brisket from prime or even choice, but you just can't go by the grading alone.

One thing to keep in mind...

The carcass is graded based on a sample taken from the ribeye primal, not the brisket, so, a brisket from a select carcass could be 'better' than one from a prime carcass. I just depends on the cow and the marbling.

Yes, you have a better shot at getting a better brisket from prime or even choice, but you just can't go by the grading alone.

Agree 100% Ron, I look at every brisket (every piece of meat for that matter) individually for what it has to offer not the label it wears.

For grain finished, USDA graded beef the level still matters. Granted, lots of variance within the grades, and the process of grading is only predictive of the whole animal based off one part. That said, it's unlikely you'll see a Select Grade brisket rivalling a "Slightly Abundant" level Prime or even a high level Choice like CAB. It's not impossible, but very unlikely.

one of the best briskets I found and cooked was a select grade..... and I have cooked a lot of brisket.... I look for choice or better but if I see a good select with a thick flat I will grab it

Well the second brisket was okay but certainly not stellar. It was 14 lbs. It seemed trimmed quite a bit. The area around the deckle was already cut out big time, so much less trimming than I usually do. Anyhow once out of the package I found some parts that were dried out, brown. Looked like freezer burn somewhat. I trimmed that off. But I could tell there wan't much marbling.

Anyhow the point was great. The flat was a bit dry. I put some of the rendered fat and juices on it when I sliced to bring to the party.

As usual I got tons of praise, best brisket they've had. But I know it wasn't up to my standards. Oh well, I think I'll keep trying to find choice. I've never seen prime around here.

When I have the time I will "Wet Age" to help tenderize it in my garage fridge for a minimum of 21 days. 30-45 if I know the packaged date. It has worked great for me on both select and choice. :mrgreen:

Back