• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Roadside vending

Wow. This is a great section. Answered so many questions for me. In my area the only place to get Q is at a Big Chain (Tony Romas, Back Forty, etc.) and I have been thinking about taking the plunge. Such good advice here.

First Stop: Health Department

Thanks, Guys.

It amazes me how many of us brethren are doing the vending/catering thing, or wanting to!
I have started researching the HD rules and licensing reqs in Wichita.
I am hoping to break into this field also...legally, of course.
Can't afford any fines or charges.
Keep posting how you guys are doing, and the pitfalls you come across.

Hey man I tell ya it's a greta game and you learn something each and every time you et out there. For the most part we tend to over cook but are getting to grips with it now. Summer is all but finished here so we are moving into catering for functions. We are aiming for Christmas fete and the likes trying to spread the word for next year and pick up orgers for the holidays.

How bout some updates from our roadside vendors? :wink:
Talked to Scotty D and Kev and we all seem to be going about the same, were still alive and selling BBQ!
Any other guys out there still up and running?

Right now, we are getting ready to shut down for winter. Sales have been dropping off with the temps, and due to the closing of a local factory, my rush hours aren't so rushed.

I have tens of thousands of dollars invested in BBQ (probably more like $100k+), so it's not a hobby for me. It is a business. If you want to run it like one, be one. Scabs only tarnish it for the rest of us who try to remain legal.
Very well said. Right now, that's one of the problems I have. There are a dozen taco trailers within a 15 mile radius, and then there's me. Out of all the vendors, mine and another are the only one's that are legal. The rest keep moving and only open on weekends, far out of the time limits of the inspector.

Take pics with time and date stamps and give them plate numbers. I would go as far as to confront them and let them know they are on the radar.

I'm done on roadside vending for the season. Looking at a trailer upgrade so there may be an approved trailer available here real soon. Just waiting on quotes on a 38' gooseneck that will have smokers mounted and lots of room for a steam table and lots of vending window space. Also full RV water system that would allow soda machine, etc.

I'm done on roadside vending for the season. Looking at a trailer upgrade so there may be an approved trailer available here real soon. Just waiting on quotes on a 38' gooseneck that will have smokers mounted and lots of room for a steam table and lots of vending window space. Also full RV water system that would allow soda machine, etc.

Sounds real nice that the size I am looking at fore the future. Good luck!!

Anybody still guttin it out or are we all closed up for the winter?

<<<< So glad to be cookin indoors this winter! :biggrin:

Was looking to start roadside vending from a large ice cream store parking lot. Unfortunately, mobile food dispensing vehicles are not allowed to operate in my city or county.

Wish there was an easy way to determine localities where vending is allowed. Calling up ones county and then every municipality and speaking with permits and then zoning is a pain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gettin geared up to start again, was off for a month over Christmas, just too cold..If it stays above -10C I'll be out there with the Lang chuggin away.

I can't wait to return and nor can my bank manager. Granted I still have a few months to go and only about three to get the job done but I'm chomping at the bit!

Just fired up half pint and running on empty to let the neighborhood know I'm still around. :)

Ok boys I roadside vend everyday I am doing fine and better than fine. I lost my job in Feb of 09 and I am making a better living in BBQ than in Research and Development for Jack Links Beef Jerky for 11 years. Go figure!

Back