Chuck roast for slicing

dadsr4

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I was going to cook a chuck shoulder roast for pulling for tacos, but my wife requested sliced. I'd thought 165 deg., but am curious about what others suggest. Thank you.

I don't know this for sure, but suspect it would still be pretty chewy @ 165. If you have the time, I'd suggest taking it to probe tender, then cooling it off and slicing it wafer thin against the grain. :thumb:

Take it to probe tender just like you would a brisket, cooking 2 CR's tomorrow, making Barbacoa for street tacos. :smile:

Wafer thin against the grain is a given. 165 deg. is just a ball park.

Wafer thin against the grain is a given. 165 deg. is just a ball park.

I could go with this.......... you better have a great, finely sharpened carving knife and some finely honed carving skills.

I don't have these wafer thin carving skills...:-D

Take it to probe tender just like you would a brisket, cooking 2 CR's tomorrow, making Barbacoa for street tacos. :smile:
Do you have a target temperature before probing?
For those who are skeptical, our favorite steak, due to my wife's dietary restrictions, is round. Full of flavor, you just use a sharp knife, cutting across the grain. Filet mignon is flavorless and mushy in comparison.

For those who are skeptical, our favorite steak, due to my wife's dietary restrictions, is round. Full of flavor, you just use a sharp knife, cutting across the grain. Filet mignon is flavorless and mushy in comparison.

At what temp do you do your eye/round?

You could smoke the CR ahead till it’s pull apart tender. Chill in fridge then slice it up and shred some. Reheat for taco nervana.

I could go with this.......... you better have a great, finely sharpened carving knife and some finely honed carving skills.

I don't have these wafer thin carving skills...:-D
I got my first pocket knife when I was 5, and was taught how to sharpen it. MY knives, as apposed to the ones my wife runs through the dishwasher, can slice thin enough to see light through.

Depends what temp you are cooking at and the size of the roast, I cook them at 300 so after 3.5hrs I'll give it a look and if I like the color I'll wrap in BP, 1.5hrs later start probing every 30min, I don't use a meat therm when doing CRs, I go by size of the roast, temp and time to give me an idea of when it's time to start probing.

Probe tender will give you the best results you're looking for with sliced CR.

I just did these two last weekend:

dYLMOf.jpg

I took them to about 180ish before they were close to probe tender. Pulled them off, foiled, added a half cup of stock for braising and put them back on for another hour or so. I let them rest for another hour before shredding what we wanted for a couple sammies that night. Since then, I've sliced the rest for more sammies and cubed some for chuckie burnt ends. IMHO, they are just as good (if not better) than quite a few of the briskets I've done over the years.
:spy: :peep: :bolt:

I cook them just like a brisket but slicing is a problem sometimes Cuz the grain will change directions 7 times.......
Thank you. Changing direction is not a problem, you have to pay attention to what's happening next to the knife blade anyways while slicing.:becky:

I just did these two last weekend:

dYLMOf.jpg

I took them to about 180ish before they were close to probe tender. Pulled them off, foiled, added a half cup of stock for braising and put them back on for another hour or so. I let them rest for another hour before shredding what we wanted for a couple sammies that night. Since then, I've sliced the rest for more sammies and cubed some for chuckie burnt ends. IMHO, they are just as good (if not better) than quite a few of the briskets I've done over the years.
:spy: :bolt::peep:
That's how I feel about brisket, too. I find better quality beef in the bargain bin than brisket. :peep: And for less money, too.

That's how I feel about brisket, too. I find better quality beef in the bargain bin than brisket. :peep: And for less money, too.
There was a time when brisket was cheaper and considered a trash cut, I personally cook a lot more CR and BSRs than brisket, but i will say brisket meat makes for the best chili.

I recently pulled two off at 205 with the intent to pull them for tacos like I have done many times before. It wouldn't pull easily so I sliced it fairly thin. Wife (the hardest to please) and family all agread it was the best beef I made. So I think you can take it well beyond 165.

I agree with Smitty that the grain direction is a pain and leaves you with fairly short slices. But I will definitely do this again.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

Back