Pork butt question mid-cook

Frank Mahovlich

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey y’all - got an 11 pound pork butt on the WSM right now. Been a long time since I’ve cooked one. It’s been sitting at 172 for about an hour. I wrapped it four hours after it hit the cooker and the bark had set where I wanted it. WSM been running at about 280 the entire time...

Been so long since I’ve cooked one of those,
I can’t rememeber- does pork butt have a stall? Seems like this thing should be moving along a little quicker...

Thanks,
FM

Butts will definitely stall and patience is the key.

Every butt I've cooked has been different. Some cruise right through the stall, and some are stubborn.

If you're running out of time, you can increase the heat. Butts are very forgiving.

It will stall but watch it because when it comes out of it the Temp can go up quickly

The length of the stall will depend on the thickness of the butt and the density muscle. All prime pieces will adhere to this same situation. If you're in a hurry next tome, cook two 6# butts. There should be very little flavor difference in the finished product.

I always set 12 hours aside for every butt cook. I cook at 275. The average time to done for me on a 8 to 10 pound butt is around 9 hours, but I have had outliers that take longer.

If they get done early, they definitely benefit from a couple of hours of FTC.

Be patient and don't pull until it "probes like buttah." :-D

Back