New to this slow cook stuff... Ques.

G

goldwing02

Can u cook on regular BBQ (w/ Rotissiere) pork, that pulled pork dish?
Thanks

Just had a delicious pulled pork dish in a new restaurant - 'Farmer's Bar' in Cutchogue, LI and would like to make it .

Thanks

Welcome Goldwing, wander over to Cattle call and give yourself an intro. Yes, you can make pulled pork using a roto styled cooker. It would be easier to answer your question if we had an idea of the type equipment you are working on.

Just looked up the Lynx.

Looks like a 4 burner gas grill.

Pulled pork it a "low and slow" meat, but lets give her a try.

Take one pork shoulder, or Boston Butt as they are sometimes marked, and rub it down with something. Peppper, chili powder, or something you like. Wrap it in plastic wrap and in the fridge over night.

Now we need to simulate a smoker, using your grill. You'll need one of them stainless or cast oron smoker boxes from Home Depot, along with a bag of smoke pellets (I have hickory and Jack Daniels pellets for my gas grill)

Light one burner, on the far end ( no rotisserie) and let things heat up. Fill the smoker box with pellets and put over the lit burner. have an oven thermometer at the opposite end. What does it read after 20 min? Adjust burner to high med low to get that reading on the opposit end to read 220*. If you have trouble getting to 220 that far away, light a second burner, next to burner #1.

Get a 220 reading, and put the shoulder on the unlit section of grill. This is "offset" cooking. Not truly smoking, but as close as you can get with your unit.

If you are able to get 220, count on 1.5 hrs per pound. Stick a thermometer into the shoulder. At 165-170, wwrap in foil and return to the grill. Stop using pellets, as its now wrapped (or use oven) and wait until internal temp is 185-190. Pull off and throw (wrapped) into a cooler with a towel wrapped around it.

I forgot to mention to spray every ince and a while, especially when right before you wrap. Start with apple juice and experiment later.

After about 2-3 hours in the cooler, remove and unwrap CAREFULLY, very juicy. Pull with gloves, add favorite sauce, and your done

Let us know!!!

Re: RE: New to this slow cook stuff... Ques.

scottm4300 said:
Nice post Bill! Great detail!

Well rested from 4 days in Winsconsin and sober.

Not responsible in about 2 hours though :p

RE: Re: RE: New to this slow cook stuff... Ques.

That was one of the greatest decriptions of how to make Pulled pork I have ever read. Following those direction should produce an excellent meal. If you don't have one of those store bought smoker boxes you can make one with Aluminum Foil, or better yet, those "throw away Aluminum pans from grocery store with foild over the top. Poke some holes in the foil and you are good to go.

Thanks very much Bill....
Wrap in foil, u mean completely wrap it or just sides and top?
About this cooler thing though, wrap the meat in a clean towel and place into an empty cooler for 2-3 hrs? just want to make sure i understand....

Thanks Z
btw the bbq has 3 lower brass burners and the radiant heater on back wall, 2 additional burners outside cover ... sorry i didn't include details - thanks for going out of way to research it...

this is great! like the aluminum pan idea ...

Bill didn't mention where u get the pellets and are they better than wood?

Wrap it completely in foil I spray with a LOT of Apple juice on the wrap.

sorry, bill u did, my bad, can't say i've seen them @ HD and I spend too much time there...

Re: RE: New to this slow cook stuff... Ques.

goldwing02 said:
Thanks very much Bill....
Wrap in foil, u mean completely wrap it or just sides and top?
About this cooler thing though, wrap the meat in a clean towel and place into an empty cooler for 2-3 hrs? just want to make sure i understand....

Yes, wrapped in foil. Wrap the butt in foil, the wrapped butt in a towel, and place in a cooler. Now and then someone asks about ice, and I'm not suggesting that you would, but don't add ice! :D

One thing we like around here is when someone takes the time to come back and tell us about how their cook worked out. I'm looking forward to hearing about how it turned out myself, and you don't want this group coming to look for you to find out :wink:

I have gotten pellets all over the place. I go with pellets in the gas grill, cuz wood leaves ash that has no where to go.

Wrap: completely wrap in heavy duty foil. Once wrapped, those temps will climb more quickly, but retain juices.

Coolers. Smaller cooler the better (but big enough for your butt). The cooler works on hot, as well as cold. Put a wrapped butt in there at 190, and it will climb to 200. after about 2-3 hours (I leave the probe in) that sucker will read 160 ish. It has continued to cook and slowly break down the sinews for hours.

By the way, if you grab the bone in the shoulder after this, the meat will just fall completely off.

You mentioned a restaurant in Long Island had pulled pork? After you do one yourself, truly low and slow, you won't go back there.

And once you do this, you;ll be hooked. At that point, by a WSM (Weber Smokey Mountain) off Amazon. They run specials for $180 including delivery. At that point, we will open your world to an entirely different flavor experience. 18 hour briskets, ribs to die for, etc.

And we havent even started you on fatties yet :)

Just hang with us, and your stomach will be rewarded!!!

Thanks Jorge and Icemn62, I guess thats to slow cool it?
Every year we have a family bbq thats extended family avg 50 total aunts, uncles, parents, grandparents, cousins,etc. . It started with just volleyball and now includes basketball, table tennis and billiards last year (outdoor table) and if my son comes up with a means and manages it we'll have a texas hold'em tournament. Any way it's always been hamburgers, chicken, sausage, local corn, hotdogs (this is why i got the big grill). This is our 20th year doin it so i thought we should try something different... btw how do u judge how much to cook?
Thanks for shared info!!
OH yeah, if it comes out a success, I'll definitly come back and report the results.

Bill so the cooler is just to slow finish the cooking...u anticipated my next question- what would be a good cooker (how do u refer to tool?) to start with and not overburden the wallet? I will chk the WSM tonight ...Thanks again eeryone
I'm going out to eat now, all this has gotten me hungry for pulled pork again...

Try adding a little bourbon to your apple juice, and for less that $100.00 more, you can get a BSKD from Northern Tool.
Noah

nmayeux said:
Try adding a little bourbon to your apple juice, and for less that $100.00 more, you can get a BSKD from Northern Tool.
Noah
Noah,
I have both. Well, mine is a Dera, but close enough. :lol:
I have to recommend--highly-- the WSM to get started in Que.
Much more user friendly and lets the new Brother focus on taste and texture without the "fun" of Mods and Fire Control.
Can always get bigger later if needed (or bored with "cruise control" temps) and will always have the WSM around for smaller cooks :lol:
JMHO.

Welcome GoldWing.
Gonna be fun for us to watch you grow as a Que'r :lol:
Ask your questions and share your sucesses and failures with us.

TIM

Back