View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 03:27 AM   #3
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

I used to have one. It makes some top notch food right up there with my offset. But like everything it has pros and cons.

CONS:
Its a fire hazard. It cooks with an open flame and it needs to be treated like like a camp fire. You have to sit and drink beer and watch it. The air vents on the side will spill coals out. So you wont be inside watching football, you will be outside watching this box. Also you have to consider wind, rain, etc.
It sits low on the ground. That firebox on top glows red hot in the dark. You dont want small children around it or someone will end up getting a 3rd degree burn. The box itself gets pretty hot too.
Cause it sits low and the door opens forward. You kinda have to get on your knees or squat to access it. Its odd. My friend burned the hell out of his arm removing a foil pan with liquid in it from my KBQ.
It runs on electricity. I did not like being tired to an electrical cord. Thats just me.

PROS:
Small footprint
Uses real burning wood so you get offset quality food.
Portable. Can easily toss n a truck or van.
All stainless so no flaky paint, wont rust and cleans up nice.
Its consistent. The fan kicks on and off controlling the temp so you dont have use any brain cells. You just feed it wood. No abilty to get creosote nasty smoke. Just keep feeding it.
Cooks with high convection which results in crispy skin chicken and a mean brisket bark. No soggy food here.

I do think its worth $1500 if you are not worried about The fire factor or babysitting it. When I was looking for an offset I had considered buying another, and if I got rid of the offset the KBQ would be high on the list again.

Last edited by Rockinar; 12-07-2017 at 03:36 AM..
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->