View Single Post
Old 08-07-2017, 11:45 AM   #1
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard
Arrow Hot 'n Fast Mayo Slathered Oakridge Secret Weapon Chicken Experiment

There was some discussion on a recent thread here in Qtalk about the benefits of slathering mayo on chicken before cooking it, which many felt helps render the fat more effectively and helps get the skin nice and crisp.

I did a little research on the subject, and found quite a few converts to this method, so I decided to give it a try myself!

Started out with a 3lb fresh young chicken:

Then proceeded to cut up the chicken in pieces:

Next, I took 1/4 cup of mayo, and added about 1/2 tsp sea salt and some freshly cracked black pepper:

Then, I poured the mixture over the chicken pieces and coated them thoroughly:

I covered the bowl and let the chicken sit for about 2 hours.

After the rest, the chicken got a generous dusting of Oakridge Secret Weapon, one of my absolute favorite rubs for chicken:

Then I fired up the drum with hot briquettes and a couple pieces of oak:

Then put the dark meat on first, with all three intakes fully open:

About 15 mins later:

At that point, I added the breasts, and another 25 minutes everything was done. Here's how it looked right after I pulled the meat from the drum:

And then plated, with some of the Missus' world famous garlic rosemary oven roasted mini-yukon gold taters:

The verdict? It was without question some of the tastiest chicken we've ever eaten. When I cut into a thigh, the juices literally squirted out onto the table! The skin was nice and thin, with just the right amount of crisp to it. We plan on doing this again very soon, this time for guests to see how they like it.

And the taters were awesome too!

Last edited by Moose; 08-07-2017 at 12:03 PM..
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->