Brisket injection

Grumpy's Q

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I’m in need of a brisket injection. The last couple of briskets I have done turned out very nice. I’m looking to turn it up a notch here. I want to increase the moisture level of the finished brisket. I will have to stay away from the Fab-b products; the wife and MSG don’t get along very well. I’m thinking of a beef stock (not bullion too salty)/ apple juice/ ???? type of mixture. Does anyone have a suggestion? I did a search on brisket injection. All I found was the Fab-b stuff.

Mike

FWIW, both Wylers and Herb-Ox sell a salt free bullion. Its just in powder versus pressed cube form.

I use it all the time, and don't miss the salt (comes in beef and chicken flavors)

<edit>
Correction, the Herb-Ox is "very low sodium". I just checked the package

You've probably seen Ray's (drbbq's) injection:
Big Cow Beef Injection

Makes 2 and one-fourth cups

2 cups beef broth
one-fourth cup Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
one-half teaspoon cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, mix well and refrigerate before injecting.

Kirk said:
You've probably seen Ray's (drbbq's) injection:
Big Cow Beef Injection

Makes 2 and one-fourth cups

2 cups beef broth
one-fourth cup Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
one-half teaspoon cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, mix well and refrigerate before injecting.

That looks good!

We use a coffee/pineapple juice base, add some rub and worcestershire sauce to it... seems to work pretty well.

I usually do the FAB thing, but in a pinch I have used 1/2 strained newmans own italian dressing, 1/2 light beer, whack of woosta.

Last edited:
ique said:
I usually do the FAB thing, but in a pinch I have used 1/2 strained newmans own italian dressing (strained), 1/2 light beer, whack of woosta.

How big is a "whack"? Is it more or less than a teaspoon? Or is it like Emeril's "BAM!" :-D

wnkt said:
How big is a "whack"? Is it more or less than a teaspoon? Or is it like Emeril's "BAM!" :-D

Its like Emerils BAM, but much better.

I have not injected brisket too many times. How do you keep what's being injected from streaking the interior of the meat? When I've done turkey, you can see where the rasberry marinade has been injected when you slice the meat.

Thanks

RichardF said:
I have not injected brisket too many times. How do you keep what's being injected from streaking the interior of the meat? When I've done turkey, you can see where the rasberry marinade has been injected when you slice the meat.

Thanks

Inject with the grain. If you inject against the grain you can tend to get spots.

Ive heard that to keep from leaving spots, is to use ingredients that dont have much colorings. Things like soy sauce in white meats like turkey.
I would think that dark meats like brisket wouldnt have as much problems in that regard.

As far as brisket goes I inject while pulling the needle out as well as in and move it around a lot to eliminate the flavor or color pockets. I also turn my brisket over every hour to help in the dispensation of the injected liquid. this seems to cut down on the lines or pockets if not eliminate them completely. hope this helps

Low sodium beef broth is a good base. I usually use apple juice to add a bit of flavor along with a touch of salt (not much, after all, you started with low sodium broth!) and a touch of sugar. The worchesteshire is a good additive along with a bit of rub, garlic, etc. I don't use these flavors in my injections, but that's just me.

I use a brine injector (ball pump with a hose) and a 10" canula with about 8 holes so getting the injection into the meat is NOT a problem. With a Cabela's type injector you cound use herbs and such and not deal with clogging.

Use your imagination and add or change one thing at a time until you find "your" injections. DrBBQ's is a great one to start with.

This tread came just in time. I’m strongly considering doing my 1st brisket for the Rosh Hashanah weekend seeing that my mother-in-law is coming up from Fla. She’ll be very impressed with her goy son-in-law. Not that she isn’t already.

Thanks everyone for the input. I have many Ideas now to start with.

Last edited:
nonthink said:
goy son-in-law.

Goy?? Please tell me this is Yiddish and not a misprint.

Although explaining a gay son-in-law could be entertaining for those watching...

Bigmista said:
Goy?? Please tell me this is Yiddish and not a misprint.

Although explaining a gay son-in-law could be entertaining for those watching...

Yep... Yiddish...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goy

Back OT... The last two briskets I cooked were injected with a mix of low sodium beef broth, worcestershire, some garlic juice (from a jar of pre-chopped garlic) and some of my brisket rub, ground fine so it would mix in better. I heated this to just below boiling, let it steep for a bit, cooled it strained it to get out any bits, and injected the brisket until it wouldn;t hold any more. They came out great!

Back