Smoking Cobia

bigbeef24

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Any suggestions for smoking cobia? Wood,cook temp?

Thanks,
Bigbeef24

Big Pappa UDS
Lang 48 Deluxe (In 4 weeks)

Brine fish for 8 to 12 hours depending on thickness. Remove fish from brine and rinse. Let sit out for a couple of hours to form pellicle. I put black pepper, granulated garlic, granulated onion and sometimes a little cayenne.

Try to cook at about 100 degrees for a couple of hours, this allows fish to absorb the smoke. I accomplish this by using a torch to fire up wood chips. Then cook at 180 to 200 for rest of cook until fish is 140 to 150 internal temp.

I generally use a mix of hickory and fruit woods. Here is a pic of some kingfish I cooked about a month ago. Hope this helps, let us know how it went.

Attachments

• Pictures from phone 198.jpg
    Pictures from phone 198.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 112
Brine fish for 8 to 12 hours depending on thickness. Remove fish from brine and rinse. Let sit out for a couple of hours to form pellicle. I put black pepper, granulated garlic, granulated onion and sometimes a little cayenne.

Try to cook at about 100 degrees for a couple of hours, this allows fish to absorb the smoke. I accomplish this by using a torch to fire up wood chips. Then cook at 180 to 200 for rest of cook until fish is 140 to 150 internal temp.

I generally use a mix of hickory and fruit woods. Here is a pic of some kingfish I cooked about a month ago. Hope this helps, let us know how it went.

+1 on Slackdog. I do a lot of Salmon, I tend to do a higher temp (about 175-200f) for an hour to an 1.5 hours (but salmon is a fairly fatty fish). Slack is dead on with internal temp (I target 145 f) don't go over 150 or it gets dry. I also use hickory, but in my side by side blind taste tests everyone prefers cherry as the fruitwood addition over apple (apple is good, cherry=better)

Good luck!

I normally punch it and use a jet lighter to kick it off and enjoy it with a nice glass of 12 yr old single malt & water, I prefer a 47 Ga.

Back