• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chris Lilly's Injection - Stupid Question

Unfathomable Bastid

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Apologies -- rook question here:

First time injecting a 7lb Boston Butt. The "Chris Lilly" recipe shows 2 cups of liquid. How do I know when to stop injecting? Am I putting all 2 cups into the meat?

-Bastid

I'm not sure about that particular recipe, but I'd just put as much in there as it'll hold. Nothing wrong with being too juicy.

Yeah his recipe is actually for a full 16lb shoulder, but I also use the full amount per butt! Theres no such thing as over injecting a tame recipe like that one. Now if you have a super salty spicey injection you may want to watch out but use it all and you wont be dissapointed:thumb:

Yep, put in as much as it'll take. For reference though, the full recipe is for a 16-18 pound whole shoulder, so to follow the plan closely just use 1/2 the recipe, or about a cup.

I'm not sure about that particular recipe, but I'd just put as much in there as it'll hold. Nothing wrong with being too juicy.

I kindly disagree with this. You are injecting a flavor that could overpower the taste of the meat if you put too much in. The difficult thing is, you won't know what you like until you try it. I suggest keeping a journal so you can remember what you did last time and what you thought of it so you can modify for the next cook.

Me, I use about 1 cup of the Chris Lily injecting in a 10# butt.

I use the same recipe for butts and inject as much as it will take. It won't take but so much anyway. Inject away.

I kindly disagree with this. You are injecting a flavor that could overpower the taste of the meat if you put too much in. The difficult thing is, you won't know what you like until you try it. I suggest keeping a journal so you can remember what you did last time and what you thought of it so you can modify for the next cook.

I have tried it with both Kosher and table salt. For some reason the salt kept sitting at the bottom of my jar.

We asked Myron this very question.

His reply:

"The more injection you can get in... the more flavor you'll get out."

We asked Myron this very question.

His reply:

"The more injection you can get in... the more flavor you'll get out."
I'm sure you have tried Myron's recipes, but I feel it's like eating pure salt. That may be just fine for competition, but for eating with family and friends, it's just too much IMHO.

Chris' method is about spot on for me personally. Chris' recipe is actually just a small amount of injection really and not a lot of rub either. But man does that pork have flavor.

I stick to his recipe but adjust the recipe for the size of butt I'm smoking vs. the 16-18lb whole shoulder he write the recipe for.

I'm not sure how much I use. I do about 2 butts with the 2 cups. Also done 1 butt with 2 cups (not sure how much leftover)

Just keep goin till ur hand gets tired :)

I'm sure you have tried Myron's recipes, but I feel it's like eating pure salt. That may be just fine for competition, but for eating with family and friends, it's just too much IMHO.

Chris' method is about spot on for me personally. Chris' recipe is actually just a small amount of injection really and not a lot of rub either. But man does that pork have flavor.

I stick to his recipe but adjust the recipe for the size of butt I'm smoking vs. the 16-18lb whole shoulder he write the recipe for.

It's odd, but I watched Myron cook within a few feet of me, and I took notes as he did. We all did.

When we ate his food, it was good: it wasn't overly salty.

But when I tried the recipe at home for the first time, I agree. It was way too salty.

So, either the containers (he calls them boxes) of salt he used were not full, or the salt collected at the bottom of the mixing bowl and didn't get injected.

Has to be one of the two, because the pork I ate that he cooked was perfection.

Now, my wife is the Maryland salt police, so I use very minimal amounts (and often... none) for her.

I'd suggest you follow his recipe from the book, with the exception of the salt. Add the salt slowly, and stop when you reach the amount that tastes right to you.

That's what I do when using his recipe, and people love it.

It's odd, but I watched Myron cook within a few feet of me, and I took notes as he did. We all did.

When we ate his food, it was good: it wasn't overly salty.

But when I tried the recipe at home for the first time, I agree. It was way too salty.

So, either the containers (he calls them boxes) of salt he used were not full, or the salt collected at the bottom of the mixing bowl and didn't get injected.

Has to be one of the two, because the pork I ate that he cooked was perfection.

Now, my wife is the Maryland salt police, so I use very minimal amounts (and often... none) for her.

I'd suggest you follow his recipe from the book, with the exception of the salt. Add the salt slowly, and stop when you reach the amount that tastes right to you.

That's what I do when using his recipe, and people love it.
Thanks for the tip!

I hope my comment from earlier didn't come off wrong. It sounded to me like you had been to the class (I have only used his book), but man, I almost had to throw my food out it was so salty.

I will use your advice next time I dip into his book. :thumb:

I wouldn't over do it with the injection as there is a lot of salt in it.

I also tried this injection, and I would highly suggest that one inject proportionate to meat size and not try to get the whole two cups into a 7-8lb butt. Now, I don't question Myron's knowledge AT ALL, but in this case he is incorrect. The saltiness was overpowering, and I was sorry that I tried to saturate it with both cups. Keep in mind, this is supposed to be a "competition injection" that is also good for home/restaurant cooking. I think it leans way more toward competition cooking, but it's Chris Lilly's recipe and I know it has to be great when done right! I WILL try it again! Smoke on, my brothers!

Back