YACPR :) (Yet Another Christmas Prime Rib)

Ron_L

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Merry Christmas Brethren and Sisthren! I hope that you were able to enjoy the Christmas holiday with your loved ones! This Christmas was special for us since our daughter, who has been traveling abroad since January, 2018 was able to come home! The last time that we saw her in person was at Christmas 2019!

B2725-C53-81-B0-4446-AFC0-10-BD7-D919828.jpg

She has been in New Zealand, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Malaysia (locked down there about 18 months due to Covid), Georgia (the country :-D) and most recently, Egypt! During her travels one thing that she said that she missed was beef, so I made a Christmas Rib Roast for her!

I started with a three bone roast that was about 9 ½ lbs. I seasoned it with my usual salt, pepper, garlic powder and chopped fresh rosemary, but this year I also added some Georgian Svanetian salt that my daughter brought for us! Svanetian salt is typically a blend of Salt, coriander, blue fenugreek, marigold, garlic, red pepper, and gitsruli (wild caraway seed). Here is a nice article explaining more…

https://culinarybackstreets.com/cities-category/tbilisi/2019/cb-on-the-road-49/

I cooked the roast on my Memphis Pro pellet grill/smoker at 225 over a pan with beef stock and fresh rosemary and tarragon to catch the drippings for au jus.

7-FAD7927-E140-459-C-BA87-ECAE4-B2-F0889.jpg

I originally planned 40 minutes per pound, and padded that by an hour, so I was expecting about a 6 hour cook, followed by an hour rest to hit about 125 internal (then resting to hit medium rare, which is what we prefer for a rib roast. It was actually done in 5 ½ hours, so I turned out oven on to the Proof setting (which holds at about 90 degrees for proofing dough) and put it in the over to hold. During the hold time the internal temp rose to 136 and was at 131 when I took it out to carve a couple of hour later.

The roast has a beautiful crust (no sear, either before or after),

286-CF438-AB34-4-A1-B-A250-4-FDDF30250-E2.jpg

and was medium rare (ish, maybe a tad over) edge to edge.

ECA96-BD4-02-E1-443-B-A015-A7-AED10-D9-F11.jpg

I served it with Brussels Sprouts (another request from my daughter) cooked in my Ninja Foodi as an air crisper and Cauliflower Puree and some of the au just from the pan that was under the roast.

F8345545-E57-D-4-C00-BB52-93-F9-FB3-E57-D5.jpg

The roast had a great flavor and the Svanetian seasoning was a nice addition!

YUM It does not get much better than that Glad you were able to enjoy the company of your daughter Ron I remember you you posted she was going off on that trip Sounds like she had fun

Amen, Ron! That looks ridiculously good!

It's great to see/hear that you have your girl back home for the Holidays! I can only imagine what her Svanetian salt added to the party.

Enjoy! (I know you already are!)

Thanks Ron, now I know how I am going to cook the rib roast we have held in the freezer. I am amazed you never seared. I couldn't think of a better gift than to have my child with me after that many years away.

Love the post! This is a great example of food enhancing an already wonderful moment. Thank you for sharing!

Great looking food and even better that you were able to enjoy it with your daughter!

A beautiful meal, clearly prepared with love and care, to celebrate a joyous reunion! Thanks for sharing, Ron; Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Back