• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Homemade or manufactured?

HuskerMan

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Does this offset look homemade or manufactured? To me it kind of looks like an older Oklahoma Joe but I’m not sure if I ever seen one with a firebox on the left like that. It definately needs some TLC on the outside and fits the bill for that mid sized offset I have been looking for but is 3 hours one way away. What’s something like this worth?

Attachments

• 6B8D2764-1A3B-4A48-9C62-751E049C7CD5.jpeg
    6B8D2764-1A3B-4A48-9C62-751E049C7CD5.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 322
That looks like an old lyfe tyme smoker with some wheel mods.

I love the thermometer on the right door pointing straight up for some reason. haha It has a large exhaust stack but it's mounted at the top of the cooker, so you'll likely end up with some serious temperature differentials across the smoke chamber.

3 hour drive? Hmmm...probably not worth your time to be honest....unless it's free and you've got some fabricating experience and are looking for a project.

Just my thoughts, but good luck either way.

If it's built out of 1/4" material, I'd definitely have a look. It needs a little work, but I like a good project. I see a lot of promise there. :-D Paint and a couple mods and I don't think you could go wrong. I'm certain that you couldn't buy a new one built out of 1/4" metal for less than $1K.

Quite honestly I’ve seen nicer smokers thrown on the scrap metal pile at garbage dump. But if you’re handy,have nothing to do for six hours and are current on your tetanus shot.....

Seen better on a scrap metal pile? I would not think so- but maybe in certain locales. Not mine.

What's available around you is what's available around you. Beggars/choosers sort of thing. What's a pass for me might be a "maybe" for you. Is it worth a 3 hour trip -one way? That's something for you to decide. Not a big fan of the 2 doors and that "left handed thing" sort of freaks me the hell out :-D

Not homemade, but not worth the drive either

My old New Braunfels had a left side firebox but a single door and no warming plate. I think NB and OJ were very similar and both bought by Charbroil.

It looks like a mirror image of an OK Joe. Maybe a Brinkman?

The handle brackets and wood handles look like my NB OK Joe Longhorn.

I can't tell pic about the doors with regards to thickness. If the seal straps are welded on it's probably 3/16" to 1/4" and worth thinking about. The stack looks welded in. That's indicative of a thicker, better pit.

Back