View Single Post
Old 05-19-2019, 07:32 AM   #4
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

I always inject now and not so much for any kind of "moisture assurance" but because you get more au jus during the cook. I smoke "naked" on the smoker until I hit the stall, and then I wrap in a pan to retain all that lovely juice as it pushes out of the meat. When I don't inject the amount of au jus is much less than when I do. If I were just doing a brisket for eating at home I probably wouldn't inject, but since I'm doing a daily lunch service that extra au jus helps to keep the brisket moist during service.

As someone else stated I stay away from the phosphates...they certainly work at retaining moisture but they add a flavor which just isn't appealing to me. I've tried Butchers, Kosmos, and Big Poppa Smokers, and they all leave a noticeable flavor...not terrible, but it's noticeable enough and it's now how I want my brisket to taste.

I usually inject with with beef base (thinned out with hot water) and some Worcestershire sauce. Someone mentioned hoisin sauce and that would be a good additive as well. I have also used Marmite (HATE THE STUFF) but it works well in a beef injection.