2nd annual MAK Brethren Group Buy deal is almost here :)

Here is a recent review of the 2 Star from a guy that has spent quite a bit of time cooking on his MAK. As you read through it, he touches on the cold smoke box. If you have more specific questions just LMK and I’ll be happy to answer if I can.

https://slickbbq.com/mak-2-star-general-pellet-grill-review/

I’ll second the comment in the review about locking the casters.
We had a windstorm blow up during a cook a few weeks ago. I came out to check on the MAK, and found it about 3 feet further from the house, and turned almost 90 degrees. The only reason it didn’t go further was that the casters ran up against the (thick) extension cord.

Thanks, little concerned about the paint here with the bad winter weather but I figure with the cover it’ll be ok. Hadn’t looked at the blank pan - ease of cleaning is a big plus. I like the smaller footprint - the backyards here in Brooklyn are small.

1 star pacific NW wet and varied weather just fine with covers. I live in mountain foothills with wet wind sun snow and sun. No issues.

Love the 1 star. Yes to 1) blank pan 2) MAK sear grates 3) side and bottom shelf and 4) 3/4 shelf (also have the full but rarely use it)... and cover.

So I am anxiously awaiting Monday. Can anyone who had a CampChef Woodwind and a MAK 1 compare the smoke profiles? Can you get close to the MAK by using the right type of pellets and a fairly high smoke setting on the CampChef? Thanks!

I didn’t have the woodwind but did have the camp chef pg24= same basic guts and innards. loved it until it for years, was my 1st pellet. Used lots of added smoke= tubes, mojo bricks, etc.

MAK way more better. My tubes are buried somewhere unused for ages since getting MAK... threw mojo cubes into Hunsaker for flavor until gone... at 245 and under MAK does a very pleasant smoke I feel no need to augment... I do sausages ~ 285 and also nice but lighter, over 325 (poultry) just a kiss...

Camp chefs solid product great folks great customer service, but it ain’t a MAK

Yeah, I have a gasser and a primo ceramic, and a pizza oven just arrived, so I think the 1* will be enough...

Don't have a pizza oven, but do have a primo oval, which I use for pizza, and gasser that I haven't used since I got the 2*. The smoker box sold me on it.

Aaaggh

I’m facing a local move likely within next 12 mos either building or buying a resale. I have no idea what my future grilling sitrep will be. Likely some built in outdoor kitchen but will need a dedicated smoking area /Santa Maria etc. I currently have a GMG DB WiFi that does a decent job. I do not think I have space currently for the MAK 2* on my townhouse second story deck. The 2* stainless would replace the DB.

Does anyone have precise measurements of this beast? If I could sell the DB and wedge it within my townhouse second story deck, that would be Great and I’d order one next week. I’d rather not wait til the new digs- my Mak-less Q deficit is getting too big.

Has anyone ever moved a 2*? Are there any special precautions or preparations needed to prevent damage in move?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
2nd annual MAK Brethren Group Buy deal is almost here [emoji4]

Aaaggh

I’m facing a local move likely within next 12 mos either building or buying a resale. I have no idea what my future grilling sitrep will be. Likely some built in outdoor kitchen but will need a dedicated smoking area /Santa Maria etc. I currently have a GMG DB WiFi that does a decent job. I do not think I have space currently for the MAK 2* on my townhouse second story deck. The 2* stainless would replace the DB.

Does anyone have precise measurements of this beast? If I could sell the DB and wedge it within my townhouse second story deck, that would be Great and I’d order one next week. I’d rather not wait til the new digs- my Mak-less Q deficit is getting too big.

Has anyone ever moved a 2*? Are there any special precautions or preparations needed to prevent damage in move?

Thanks in advance.

2 Star dimensions: 49” H x 60” W x 25” D

I have moved MAK’s numerous times. If you remove the innards and tie down and secure the cooker itself, no issues at all.

Does that give you what ya need?

This should be in the first post! That link has a ton of useful information.

Can’t argue that... it is a very well written and thorough review! If I could still edit the first post in this thread, I would add it. :)

1 star pacific NW wet and varied weather just fine with covers. I live in mountain foothills with wet wind sun snow and sun. No issues.

Love the 1 star. Yes to 1) blank pan 2) MAK sear grates 3) side and bottom shelf and 4) 3/4 shelf (also have the full but rarely use it)... and cover.

Is the blank pan new? I never saw this before. Does it just go over the flamezone pan with the perforated holes?

Seems like it'll make my life much easier when cleaning.

That was a very good review. Question: when grilling steaks on the MAK do most of you reverse sear or do you cook at a high temperature the entire cook?

That was a very good review. Question: when grilling steaks on the MAK do most of you reverse sear or do you cook at a high temperature the entire cook?

I’ve done both. This is a leftover steak seared on grill grates the entire cook. This was the day after just before reheating for steak tacos.

Last edited:
2 Star dimensions: 49” H x 60” W x 25” D

I have moved MAK’s numerous times. If you remove the innards and tie down and secure the cooker itself, no issues at all.

Does that give you what ya need?

Thanks Robb

I don’t think I have 5’ at this point. It may have to wait

Good question! Thick steaks are typically reverse seared and thin steaks are peddle to the metal.

To be totally honest though, my favorite method for steaks (I only do this for steaks) is a forward sear where I sear over a screaming hot lump charcoal fire or on my Camp Chef griddle for a few mins and then transfer to the MAK running around 250-275°. I don’t do this because the MAK can’t grill a fantastic steak, but because I find it so relaxing to watch them slowly cook, and pull off at the exact internal temp I am looking for. I like easy :)

How would a 1star ship? Freight? Fed Ex?

Mine from BPS, came freight if I remember correctly. It’s been a while! Can’t remember which company. Others with more recent purchases may have better insight.

Back