View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 06:42 PM   #1673
sfbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Making some progress

UDS slowly coming together…
Reciprocating saw with 24tpi blade cut top off CT drum like a knife through hot butter. Only word of advice I’d give to those that do this in the future is to leave the lid tacked on in a couple places until it’s just about cut off so you avoid drooping and binding up the blade of the saw.
Rescued Weber lid found on dog walk serving as lid, bent outer flange to fit pretty good and made a functional wooden handle.
No-Weld charcoal basket is complete using a rescued 18” kettle charcoal grate and "clothes line hooks" to secure. Also looking for suitable ash tray. Not sure if basket is high enough off the bottom of drum.
Since San Fran is a tough place to do a burn out I’m having to wire wheel the inside to clean and will then decide on bottom vent hole configuration. Thinking pretty serious about a combo of ball valve and spring loaded closures like “jerrykr” then I can use the spring loaders for partial adjustments if need.
Also rescued a 22 ˝” grate and already had an extra for my Weber so have grates and other hardware from junk I had around from other “projects”.
Can’t wait to get this baby up and cooking!
Thanks to all on this thread and others for advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DB smoker basket.JPG (115.6 KB, 1836 views)
File Type: jpg DB BUDS.JPG (131.4 KB, 1837 views)
File Type: jpg DB Valve Hole.JPG (101.6 KB, 1828 views)
File Type: jpg DB Vent Holes.JPG (87.2 KB, 1822 views)
'08 Weber Genesis Gasser
SJG Tamale Pot Mini Smoker (SJG was a rescue)
and a Pyro FIL
sfbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote