• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Fat on Brisket for catering

mikerobes

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
We are a comp team, that has been ask to cook Brisket for a Church Group of 100.We trim all fat from briskets, for turn-ins and home use. When catering, does anybody eliminate all fat too. I know my yield wont be good, but I worry about complaints of Fat. Thoughts? Thanks

When i cook with fat on I usually throw that part away. Not good to chew on. However, I have been trimming the fat down almost to the meat lately. Two reasons. Get rid of bad fat no one wants to chew on. Increase the amount of bark people can chew on... Hope this helps.

Some fat is ok. Are you going to do packers and then split them? If that is the case, I would split and trim aggressively. If you leave about an 1/8" of fat no one will complain.

I will cook the packer, split and make burnt ends. Everybody love's those.I'm planning on doing them pretty much comp style at this point. Its probably not the smartest thing. If I decide to do more of these, I may want to re visit my approach. I will charge accordingly. That in itself may reduce my volume. There definatly a difference in comps and catering, but I haven't figured it out yet.

There's good fat and not so good, I leave some of the cap fat, remove the wad when trimming off point. When they are done and ready to slice remove the excess fat. This will help your moisture and tenderness. When you look at a slice you only see the bark the thickness of the slice. People are more impressed with the smoke ring than bark.

People are more impressed with the smoke ring than bark.

I have too many people tell me my meat is not cooked when they see the smoke ring:doh:. I cook mine to 190, separate the point and flat and cook for another hour or so and slice everything. I trim almost all the fat off before serving.

Say wha?????
This is becoming more common, influence of a lot of talking heads and bloggers. You can't fake a smoke ring...blah blah...

I trim all chunks of fat for every brisket I cook, but, I leave the fat cap and some fat on the sides. I like how the fat cooks down and gets a crispy bark on it. I happen to like a little fat with my meat.

This is becoming more common, influence of a lot of talking heads and bloggers. You can't fake a smoke ring...blah blah...
I'd be pissed if I got brisket with little bark! May as well have saved some bucks and got Dickey's to cater if someone is gonna trim off all the bark...

There's good fat and not so good, I leave some of the cap fat, remove the wad when trimming off point. When they are done and ready to slice remove the excess fat. This will help your moisture and tenderness. When you look at a slice you only see the bark the thickness of the slice. People are more impressed with the smoke ring than bark.

THIS!! :hail:

I will cook the packer, split and make burnt ends. Everybody love's those.I'm planning on doing them pretty much comp style at this point. Its probably not the smartest thing. If I decide to do more of these, I may want to re visit my approach. I will charge accordingly. That in itself may reduce my volume. There definatly a difference in comps and catering, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Comp style will be too expensive, and unneeded time and work. I pretty much do what Franklin does in his youtube videos. I find this the best approach for quality/cost.

Here is how he trims
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU"]BBQ with Franklin: The Brisket - YouTube[/ame]

Here is how he slices for service
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMIlyzRFUjU"]BBQ with Franklin: The Payoff - YouTube[/ame]

Those are some damn good videos. I like the way Franklin roles. Thnx TailGate!!

I trim all chunks of fat for every brisket I cook, but, I leave the fat cap and some fat on the sides. I like how the fat cooks down and gets a crispy bark on it. I happen to like a little fat with my meat.

But you can fake a smoke ring, lol.

Comp brisket for a church group......your going to hell. :wink:

Let me show you how to cook #realbbq and get you a guaranteed ticket into heaven!

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE BARK.

Last edited:
I don't go overboard on trimming the fat when catering but I will eliminate enough afterwards to deliver a quality product for our clients.
I think this sums it up nicely-
cook with the fat doing its thing (down - protecting, or, up - juicing)
then remove the fat before serving. We know it adds flavor.
I like your idea of late trimming. Alot.

Brisket looks really tasty,
I think I want a bunch. Now.
Sorry for the thread jack -

This thread makes me sad. Cutting off bark and all the fat?!?! Give them brisket with the fat and the bark and show them what brisket can be. If they don't like it, let them cut it off. Trim to 1/4 inch all around, cook properly and slice. Fatty or lean. Done.

Back