chefman316

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Do you put a lot of salt in your rub or do you keep it out and apply it separate?

Which do you prefer and why?

Our house likes low salt, so I use very little and tend to go heavy on the spicy things...

I used to premix my salt in my go to Pork Rub but now I add it separately, I like a lot less salt on my Ribs compared to doing Pork Shoulders and if I'm rubbing down a naked fatty I don't use any salt at all because the sausage has enough already.

I measure the salt and pepper out and combine it in a shaker when I'm doing beef. Just easier for me like that. On pork I apply separately to make sure the salt isn't to heavy.

I separate it. We don't like too much salt but when I use it I'll put it on first and then add the rub later after the salt sits a little while.

I like to control the amount of salt. I use Oakridge rubs which are very well balanced and if I feel the need to add salt, I add kosher salt, seasoned salt or a more salty rub such as Yardbird to achieve the profile I want.

Last edited:
I keep the salt to a reasonable level, plus I always use Kosher salt. I think this is a healthier product.

Back