View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 11:35 PM   #94
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
I have several cookers but the one that I smoke on the most is my Good One Open Range. I also have a Good One Marshall for larger cooks.

On my last cook using the Open Range cooking some pork butts, I had to go to a town 35 miles away to do some errands and I was gone for over three hours. I monitored temps using my smoke thermometer with the Gateway app and the thing just chugged along. I was using Good One lump in it. I can usually go five to six hours before reloading and this thing keeps pretty steady temps. I know some people who have gone up to 10 hours on one load of lump.

Wayne
Hi, Ive never heard of that cooker before. I had to look it up. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDAR View Post
It all tastes good when done right. As far as the flavor from the “fire”, the drums add the drippings effect. The offsets add the increased airflow effect which in my opinion is noticeably better to me. I’ve won more with the “public” judges than I have with the CBJ’s of KCBS. Most of my wins came off of the Vault.
Interesting on the airflow angle. I hadn't considered that. But you have a point. That could impact the taste. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubfromGA View Post
They sound like what you are looking for in a grill that that smoke, grill, seer. You'll make amazing brisket, pulled pork, ribs, wings, chicken, steaks and the best pizzas on the planet.

Make sure you get one with a lifetime warranty.

You will never regret a BGE, Kamado Joe, Primo or other.

Absolutely anything that you can cook in an indoor oven can be cooked with ease on your ceramic kamado.

You can also go the route that many, myself included, have gone....buy a Akorn kamado from Char Griller. Can be had for $299.

Air flow is the same as it's ceramic cousins....it is slightly more finicky if you overshoot your target temp, so more care is needed in how you start your fires for slow'n'low cooks. That being said....once you lock into the temp you are golden.

I bought an Akorn and found myself using that bad boy several times a week for three years. I simply wore it slam out. My family went nuts over my grilling in ways they'd never done before. In my opinion.....it's the best grilling money I've ever spent.
The kamados are nice, just quite expensive. And fragile. I'm way too rough on my stuff to ever own one.
el luchador is offline   Reply With Quote