How to Roast Hatch Chiles

cueball21

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
l've never roasted chiles before. I got a few pounds of this year's crop of Hatch chiles from my HEB (TX supermarket chain) just to give it a try. My plan is to make a charcoal fire in my Weber 18", let it burn to white, add some wood chunks then spread the chiles on the grill turning them occasionally.

What I don't know is what to look for when the are sufficiently roasted. Do I want to brown them all over? Cook until soft?

I plan to take them off the grill and cover them with foil so that they will steam a bit to make peeling easier. I probably don't have enough to worry about storing them, but I understand that if you are going to vacuum bag them and freeze them that you don't peel them.

Please tell me about anything I'm doing wrong here and give me your advice on how to do them. If this small batch goes well, I might go back and get enough to pack and freeze.

Thanks in advance .

blister them on a grill. remove and put in a 1 gallon ziplock bag. Just fold the end over (tuck it under, using the weight of the peppers), do not zip seal. After about 30-40 minutes, the blistered skin should come off easily.

l've never roasted chiles before. I got a few pounds of this year's crop of Hatch chiles from my HEB (TX supermarket chain) just to give it a try. My plan is to make a charcoal fire in my Weber 18", let it burn to white, add some wood chunks then spread the chiles on the grill turning them occasionally.

What I don't know is what to look for when the are sufficiently roasted. Do I want to brown them all over? Cook until soft?

I plan to take them off the grill and cover them with foil so that they will steam a bit to make peeling easier. I probably don't have enough to worry about storing them, but I understand that if you are going to vacuum bag them and freeze them that you don't peel them.

Please tell me about anything I'm doing wrong here and give me your advice on how to do them. If this small batch goes well, I might go back and get enough to pack and freeze.

Thanks in advance .

You're on the right track, Bob! Blister the chiles over high heat, til black. The quicker, the better so they won't get soft.
If you want to store them, freeze them with the skin on. The skin helps protect the chile meat from freezer burn.
If you want to use them right away, toss into a plastic bag or place in a container and cover. Let them steam for a few minutes, til the skins slip off.

They are pretty tasty... but I haven't met a chile I didn't like.
Good luck with it!

I like to use my block pit and "cookin" rake.

VWF4bZ1.jpg

B7NAD1M.jpg

Last edited:
So Ive got 7-8# roasted/ peeled Pueblo Green Chile
This little batch of hand selected gives me 3-4# Whole Hatch
2# chopped Hatch

Probably continue to hand select. Several ways to process Chile including freezing them raw whole. I’ve only done that once when a friend gave me a half sack and I didn’t have time to blister them immediately. Honestly heat em up, sweat em remove or not remove skin, remove or not remove stem-remove or not remove stem seeds and split chop grind or whatever.

Chile Roasting Season
It is a grand time of yearoi

Last edited:
So, here's what I did.

I got a dozen or so chiles, washed 'em, let them drain, lit a charcoal chimney and poured red hot coals over baskets in the middle of my 18" Weber grill. I then placed the cooking grate over the coals and put the cast iron griddle directly over the hot coals and placed the chiles on the griddle. I turned and charred every side I could and stopped when I thought I'd gone too far. I actually got them a lot darker than the pics show. I put them in a ZipLoc but didn't seal it. Half hour or so later I scraped the char off with my fingers. I got about a pint of slimy 'meat' and seeds. I think I might have overdone it.

I'm putting the results into a covered tray (like ice tray) to freeze.

What are they good with?

Last edited:
I put them on the cooking grate and hit them with my weed burner til they are black.Toss in a ziplock for a while then slip the skins off,bag and freeze.

I put them on the cooking grate and hit them with my weed burner til they are black.Toss in a ziplock for a while then slip the skins off,bag and freeze.

Yep, a weed burner is the ticket as the flesh will stay nice and and moist. For sweating the skin I use a paper bag instead of a zipper bag, but if you ever do 30 or 40 pounds, line a cooler with a black garbage bag and toss each batch of roasted peppers in there. Here is a VIDEO I made a few years ago to show how fast and easy a weed burner is. Might want to turn down the volume :mrgreen:

Best and easiest way to sweat them is to throw them in a non-scented garbage bag. If you had someone process them with a real roaster, that's exactly what they would do.

Back