• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Electric Wood Splitter - Long Term Test Verdict

Bogus Chezz Hawg

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I don't recall seeing any threads about wood splitters, so I thought I would share my experience with mine here. Since I use a stick burner...

I bought a "DR Power" electric powered (1800 watts) hydraulic wood splitter just over 3 years ago. It is a 6-ton model which is capable of splitting logs up to 16" in diameter and up to 20" in length. It cost me under $700 back then. It included a work table so it can be used while standing and a tray that keeps the split logs from falling to the ground. The standard warranty is for 2 years. When I bought mine there was a promotion for a free extended warranty, covering it for 4 years.

After 3 years of use I would estimate I have split slightly more than 1 full cord of wood. Most of this was apple, but I have also used it with red oak, cherry, and maple. The splitter pushes through wood with ease. The only time I had a tough time splitting was with apple stumps from the trunk of the tree. These stumps needed to be "whittled down" from the edges. The apple stumps I had were very dense & heavy, but I still managed to conquer them.

I have not had any problems at all with this splitter, mechanical or otherwise. It makes splitting wood easy. The small chips that are left behind after splitting are used in my electric cold smoker. I use the larger pieces left behind in my Weber kettles. It is very versatile because it can be used indoors or outside. I would give it 4.5 out of 5 stars. I think DR power makes a 8-ton model now, so that one would get the full 5 stars. I would recommend this splitter to anyone for personal use. For commercial use I would go with a gas powered one.

P9010029.jpg

Please note: I don't condone operating a wood splitter while wearing sandals. LOL :lol::lol:

wish my garage looked that nice n clean!

I don't recall seeing any threads about wood splitters, so I thought I would share my experience with mine here. Since I use a stick burner...

I bought a "DR Power" electric powered (1800 watts) hydraulic wood splitter just over 3 years ago. It is a 6-ton model which is capable of splitting logs up to 16" in diameter and up to 20" in length. It cost me under $700 back then. It included a work table so it can be used while standing and a tray that keeps the split logs from falling to the ground. The standard warranty is for 2 years. When I bought mine there was a promotion for a free extended warranty, covering it for 4 years.

After 3 years of use I would estimate I have split slightly more than 1 full cord of wood. Most of this was apple, but I have also used it with red oak, cherry, and maple. The splitter pushes through wood with ease. The only time I had a tough time splitting was with apple stumps from the trunk of the tree. These stumps needed to be "whittled down" from the edges. The apple stumps I had were very dense & heavy, but I still managed to conquer them.

I have not had any problems at all with this splitter, mechanical or otherwise. It makes splitting wood easy. The small chips that are left behind after splitting are used in my electric cold smoker. I use the larger pieces left behind in my Weber kettles. It is very versatile because it can be used indoors or outside. I would give it 4.5 out of 5 stars. I think DR power makes a 8-ton model now, so that one would get the full 5 stars. I would recommend this splitter to anyone for personal use. For commercial use I would go with a gas powered one.

Please note: I don't condone operating a wood splitter while wearing sandals. LOL :lol::lol:

You are way to happy splitting wood. I don't bother to split. I just keep feeding the beast.

I used to live in the sticks and burned a lot of wood to keep the house warm. I have this little electric splitter and that big arse gas powered DR in the back. :rolleyes:

DSC00395.jpg

DSC03463.jpg

My friend has a large gas powered splitter. I'm telling you they are fun to operate and make the job a breeze!

I could operate that thing ALLLLLL day and never get tired!!! That is too cool.........I want one.

This is a great thread. My buddy, Paul, and I will be hitting the pecan groves in the next few weeks as they will begin to trim back the trees in preparation for spring. Most of the farmers and owners will let you enter the property if you ask nicely and promise not to trash their property. In exchange you can have all the pecan you can haul off and you can come back as many times as you want. We haul it back in whole log form and then cut to size a few weeks after. In the end we might collect anywhere from 3-5 cords. We have been looking into sharing the cost of a splitter. Thanks for the info. We saw an electric one at Lowes that we may look at a little closer now.

I'm with Skidder and prefer people power. That said, gas or electric splitters are probably more safe/accurate on the smaller logs like those pictured. But that said, there's really no need to split logs of those diameters.

Here's a pic of the 15-pound "monster maul" I use but they're no longer manufactured. Northern Tools has a slightly lighter clone for $30
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200325119_200325119

Last edited:
I burn 5 to 6 cord a year and buy in tree length form as needed. I usually just rent splitters for the day so I don’t have to maintain and store one.

I had an red oak knot stop a 26 TON wood splitter in its tracks!:shock:

Back