The *OFFICIAL* Throwdown Photography Tips Thread

Taking Pics

Thanks for the Pic tips, I hope to use some of these in the next TD.

I've got a question regarding lens sizes. I've been using my widest angle lens, the 18-55 which came standard with the camera. Would their be any benefit to jumping up to a longer lens size like a 70-300 to compress the space a little bit?

Would there be any benefit or am I just going to annoy myself by having to stand really far away or get out a stepstool to fit everything into a shot?

I've got a question regarding lens sizes. I've been using my widest angle lens, the 18-55 which came standard with the camera. Would their be any benefit to jumping up to a longer lens size like a 70-300 to compress the space a little bit?

Would there be any benefit or am I just going to annoy myself by having to stand really far away or get out a stepstool to fit everything into a shot?

I don't think you need a longer lens for food shots. I find that I like to shoot close up with a wider angle zoom setting. Since I shoot most of my TD entries with my Canon G12, with it's small chip, I can't really give you an accurate equivalent, but your 18-55 can certainly capture the same image.

I think a long lens will make your food look a bit too two dimensional.

CD

So, I'm taking my photos to the next level and need some help learning Photoshop, just got my copy of the latest version. Company also provided me with Lightshop, so I can do some cataloging, etc. Where's a good place to start (books?, website?). TIA for any help.

So, I'm taking my photos to the next level and need some help learning Photoshop, just got my copy of the latest version. Company also provided me with Lightshop, so I can do some cataloging, etc. Where's a good place to start (books?, website?). TIA for any help.

Did you mean Lightroom?

I don't use Lightroom, but I am a heavy user of photoshop. For your food shots, learn to use Levels and Color Balance first. Then learn Smart Sharpen. I use those three things on pretty much every shot I take.

The dodge and burn tools are also useful on food shots.

That should get you started. Kelby Training videos online are pretty good.

CD

Just to add to C Dog's post -- I prefer curves to levels, more control. In addition to Kelby search you tube and consider a subscription to Lynda.com.

Just to add to C Dog's post -- I prefer curves to levels, more control. In addition to Kelby search you tube and consider a subscription to Lynda.com.

Curves does offer more control, but I don't think I'd recommend it for a beginner. I only use curves when I need to. I wouldn't recommend someone try curves until they understand a histogram, and work with levels to see how the histogram relates to the image.

CD

... consider a subscription to Lynda.com.

Interesting. That's EXACTLY why I love this place. Lots of good info. So you recommend the courses there. Seems reasonable for a monthly rate. Any preference for the two levels? Looks like the main difference is access to the Instructors Files. For something like PS is that helpful? Guess I'll look and try for a month and see.

If you can watch and learn then you won't need the files. If you're a hands on learner then I'd give the file option a try.

You can get Kelby training for $199 per year. I don't have experience with Lynda.com but their best deal is $250 a year. Look them both over, carefully.

I'm a professional, and I have a subscription. I use the more advanced courses, but they have plenty of beginner level courses.

CD

I just found this thread:doh:

I'm doing sooooo much wrong, and Im only on the second page !

So I've looked into the training. Kelby looks great for Photo training and some software. Lynda is software training, but not for just Photo stuff, but more.

The choices... the choices. I'll probably do a month and compare, I'll report back.

Thanks guys for the help.

My wife has been storing up anything I make from cooking/blogging, etc., and I have enough for one of these now:

923_70-200_f28_EX_DG_OS_HSM_savings.png

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on that... then I get a bit for another deal in early November, where I'm getting one of these (or its successor if it's out by then):

allroundview-001.jpg

What would you all think about picking a simple subject, getting one of the pros to talk about how to set up a shoot, then people trying it out?

That's a big ass piece of glass you're looking at there and if you're thinking of doing food photography, family pics and/or landscapes you're not going to be using the telephoto end of the zoom much. Now if you've got kids who play sports, that's another story. If it was me I'd look for a good lens in the wide angle to moderate telephoto range. I shoot Canon and use my 24-105 90% of the time.
Youtube is your friend. Search food photography and you'll find a lot of good videos that beat the chit out of what we can describe here. That said you'll certainly have all your specific questions answered here and if you wish, your work critiqued.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqVKoqGIjeM"]Studio Photography Tutorial: Food Photography Basics - YouTube[/ame]

Cameraman, I'm not new here, don't worry. The 70-200 isn't for food; I use a 30mm prime for that mostly, though I'm thinking some macro work with en extension tube might be interesting down the road.

My New Tool

Panasonic_LUMIX_LX3_zps781fa024.jpg

I just picked up this little gem up. A used Panasonic LX3. I read it has very good glass, a short focal length, and great in low light. However this has more options that modern fighter aircraft. Any help or advice is welcome. Thanks

I got a great deal today on a new Nikon body, d7000, for about $900 new, along with a 5 in 1 reflector kit with a stand I can set up by the grill, too. I decided to wait on a lens... Tamron announced a new one coming out, and a few experts recommended waiting on that instead of going with the sigma. I'm also going to find a 50mm f/1.2 now that I've upgraded the body.

Lookin' for advice... Ready to buy a new camera for the fam. Budget tops out at about $300 bucks.

Seriously considering the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-FinePix-HS25EXR-Digital-Camera/dp/B006T7QZ02/ref=sr_1_19?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1349288787&sr=1-19&keywords=digital+camera"]Fuji HS25EXR[/ame] but I'm wondering if there are others that I should be looking at that are in the same ballpark... Looked at the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX-Digital-Camera-NIKKOR/dp/B0073HSJV0/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1349289902&sr=1-2&keywords=nikon+l810"]Nikon L810[/ame] and while the wife would love the red one, I thought the thing was slow, the HS25 however seemed to be very responsive and quick to focus sharply even on fully zoomed shots.

Just looking for other opinions before I buy in the next day or two.

Thanks!

Back