View Single Post
Old 08-15-2019, 02:28 PM   #1
Zeta09
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Z
Default Building the appropriate Fire?

Hey peeps I'm back....Got my RD Marshall 20" in May and have been using it as much as possible to learn the unit.

Looks like this has been discussed but the folks involved may not be around anymore or post much.

I have about 11 runs now on it and I'm finding that it seems to go through my splits pretty well to the point of which my temps dip not to my liking. Back in 15' it sounds like there was a discussion about this but not sure if any of those folks are around to chime in.

So far what I am doing is starting a fire with the (chimney) with a small amount of charcoal briquettes and mostly lump. I let this fire up. Put the pile in the Firebox then put a couple of splits in. This will usually get me to around 300F. Then afterwards once the temp comes down to 225-240 or so I'll start cooking. My box door is open (wide) and my top is open and if I put in another heated split it will last me around 40 mins (12x3) before I have to throw in another split. I feel and hear like the splits should last me longer

I have heard and read (from the 15' posts) that perhaps I should have a charcoal pile and then the split away from it for the smoke. I have seen vids tho of folks just spreading the coals out and putting the split on top then letting take then just let it run.

Regardless. Wondering if there are any Horizon owners that have their fire prep game down or have any recs to keep a temp (Offsets I am told are only about a range of temps) close to a certain level.

1) I want to (hope to) get more time out of the splits

2) Be able to get more of an idea of how to control the temp if I need to

3) Brisket is 10 Hrs + If I had a better idea of the usage of splits and building a fire could I do the "Minion Method" on the Offset to let it go and do more overnight cooks?

Thanks in advance
Zeta09 is offline   Reply With Quote