Smitty’s Pellet Pooper Ponderings

Even that isn't guaranteed to work. I tried to switch to a Smoke Daddy, and it was months of headaches. I had to go through 2 controllers, 1 fan, 1 auger motor, and finally I just shipped it all back to them and went back to stock. For me, it never worked and my food was ALWAYS covered in soot. I really liked the idea of having more temp control, but that one wasn't the answer for me. Always a risk when you start making modifications.

what pooper?

So Not to start any arguements - just to add to my Ponderings :

JoshW likes PID and BurntBothEndz does not?

That's from Grilla Grillz not Green Mountain, and it is marketing nonsense, from a company that doesn't want to use a PID controller. Not saying anything about Grilla, but that comment is nonsense. Just like Rec Tec saying that thinner metal holds temps better than thicker metal. You have to take the source in account when researching. It's not the temp swing that creates smoke.

Have you checked out that controller for the CookShack PG500 grill? You can actually change the drop rate to get wider swings and more smoke.

PID's are not the best way,IMO….but the Mrs would tell you that I'm never hardly right anyways.:mrgreen:

Actually my Yoder doesn't have a PID. I have no preference. A good controller is a good controller. I just take offense when companies try to sell their product, by trying to knock their competition. It's one thing if you are telling the truth, but don't make things up.

So Not to start any arguements - just to add to my Ponderings :

JoshW likes PID and BurntBothEndz does not?

Then there's this: but guy doesn't respond to emails and no phone # listed........

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/for/d/green-mountain-jim-bowie-wifi/6621908431.html

https://greenmountaingrills.com/products/grills/jim-bowie-blk/

AKhU2dNl.jpg

Actually my Yoder doesn't have a PID. I have no preference. A good controller is a good controller. I just take offense when companies try to sell their product, by trying to knock their competition. It's one thing if you are telling the truth, but don't make things up.

Correct, Yoders make and program their own controllers. Most folks don't realize, but they are programed with the use on BBQers Delight pellets.:thumb:

I'm leaning towards the Blazn Gtills. The double walls and extra racks are what are swaying me. Also like that it appears to have an easier system to clean out ashes. Doesn't hurt that the add-ons are cheaper. Only concern is the Yoder is 100 pounds heavier. Decision is not easy...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm leaning towards the Blazn Gtills. The double walls and extra racks are what are swaying me. Also like that it appears to have an easier system to clean out ashes. Doesn't hurt that the add-ons are cheaper. Only concern is the Yoder is 100 pounds heavier. Decision is not easy...

Marty from Owens BBQ gives a pretty good comparison of the two here:
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258223&highlight=grid+iron

Yoder has released a new rack system, since he posted this, but like all things Yoder, it isn't cheap. I like the end mount burn pot, but in fairness, I haven't used a center mounted one. I just use a small shop vac and can clean my burn pot without any problems.

One thing that sold me on the MAK Pellet Boss is it doesn't cycle the fan on and off, it just changes speed depending on the temp you want to cook at.

I’m not saying that I’m researching pellet grills, but... my concern w/ the Blazin is that there’re one probe and when you reach you set temp the grills turns itself down (I think to 160). I’d rather just get an alarm as I sometimes have other stuff cooking and don’t want to change grill temp just because 1 cut of meat is done. Maybe this can be programmed differently but that’s my understanding....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

That's a great deal, maybe he'll take even less without thermal blanket....can't see that being necessary in TX?

I’m not saying that I’m researching pellet grills, but... my concern w/ the Blazin is that there’re one probe and when you reach you set temp the grills turns itself down (I think to 160). I’d rather just get an alarm as I sometimes have other stuff cooking and don’t want to change grill temp just because 1 cut of meat is done. Maybe this can be programmed differently but that’s my understanding....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
My research tells me the same. Owners, can you tell us if this can be defeated?

Easy . Don’t use the meat probe.........
This

Except for a Dot I don't use probes in any of my cookers including the PG. I have one and can actually use up to 3 probes at a time just don't see a need to use them, most of the time if I need an IT the Thermapen works quite well.

Back