Ok, well here’s my update: No refund as of yet. Monday marks 30 days since I asked for a refund, however there’s still another week till the anniversary of when it was posted on this forum that I would have my deposit returned in 30 days, so there’s still hope. Another interesting anniversary: Monday will also mark 41 weeks since I ordered my smoker with a 5-week lead time. And before we get into the whole ‘lots of builders have lengthy build times’ debate, I assure you that I’m aware of that. It’s also a large reason why I went with Built-Rite and their ‘advertised’ much shorter build times.

This thread is also the first time I’ve heard of the loss of employees. But I’m left wondering how many times those same welders left the Built-Rite Shop, causing them to re-adjust their scheduling? Because beyond the original missed delivery date of June 1 2017, there was the message on June 11 saying you would try to get it done in the next couple weeks. And then on August 11th (which was your next response) you said that you’d do your best to get mine ready ‘this coming week’. On August 29th, you said that you would get it done within 2 weeks and that you only had one patio smoker ahead of mine. Knowing how you were with delivery dates, I actually replied that I’d give you to the end of September and if it wasn’t ready then that I’d push for the refund. Your response was a simple ‘Fair enough’, however when that delivery date came and went and I asked for a refund, you refused; saying that there is nothing to refund since you had already purchased the materials. Fearing that I was now locked in and had no other options, I let it go. Once again, you went radio silent and I didn’t get any response till Oct 30th at which point you stated that it was 75% complete and would be finished by Friday (Nov 3rd I assumed). I even got pics of a smoker on Oct. 31st. Again, there was no smoker and on Nov 13th, you stated you would ‘get it done this week and ready to go’. And that was the end of the communication till I contacted you on Jan 5th and said that I was done waiting and wanted the refund. The refund at that point though, was only conditional on you eventually finishing the smoker and selling it. It took this forum to get you to actually provide a ‘return date’ for my refund. So, while you would like to make this sound as a ‘one time’ let down or a single missed delivery date, you have shown a clear pattern of missed dates and broken promises along the entire duration of my wait time, even though I asked for ‘realistic time lines’ and not optimistic hopes. And it is for these reasons, that I asked for a refund of my deposit. I also understand that deposits made on ‘custom work’ are typically non-refundable. However, given the fact that I order ‘the standard patio model with the optional warmer box’ and didn’t provide any more ‘custom’ specifications than that, along with the GROSS mis-judgement on your expected completion date, I feel that a refund was not only allowed, but required.

Through all this, the biggest surprise is your total resentment and surprise that I’m just no longer willing to continue to wait. You seemed shocked and stunned that I was unhappy waiting as well as completely disgusted that I’m no longer willing to ‘understand’.
I’m on your time here boss. You stated on Jan 12th that I’d have the refund so I assume that’s when the 30 day clock started. But based on past experience, I’m not holding my breath.

I’m not trying fuel the fire or stir the pot. But I do feel that your replies aren’t telling the full story and make it sound as if I’m making outlandish allegations or unwarranted demands for wanting my deposit returned. Believe me, I would have much rather had a quality smoker…. last summer when promised; especially considering this was to be a 40th birthday gift from my wife and family. But as I’m now not far away from 41, I’m just guessing I can live without the smoker now.

Thanks for the suggestion. But we’ve not yet met the deadline. I’m really hoping that Built Rite will do the right thing here.

A reputable company that Donnie says he has in built rite would have refund the deposit already. The 12th is only a week this monday. We are ALL waiting for the post that you have your refund. You might want to phone the bank where the cheque is made out from,to check that it is good to cash. The sad part is you have had to wait so long for your $. DouG M

It’s called a pyramid scheme..
Using one customers money to pay for the materials for another customers product. It all works well, until it doesn’t.

It is the quickest way to bankruptcy that I know of.....and also illegal

Unbelievable! There has been so much time spent replying to various posts he could have easily written a check and placed it in the mail. I hope you continue your search and find a quality built stick burner.

Let's hope for a check. I think he is all bluster and is awaiting deposits from others to pay you.

My bills would go unpaid before I'd let my customer go without....

I hope he realizes what kind of blowback non-payment will cause.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm glad you all know everything! There has been several ask to stop even the admin but instead it's easier to continue to assume you know the facts and down someone???
Yes I am extremely behind for the 15th time repeating that but all custom builds are no refunds. I offered to refund him now I'm still being accused and persecuted? I give up y'all have at it. Keep fueling the fire trying to ruin someone's livelihood because of an error in judgement guess that makes me a bad person huh???

Admins please remove me from this forum
Thank you

I'm glad you all know everything! There has been several ask to stop even the admin but instead it's easier to continue to assume you know the facts and down someone???
Yes I am extremely behind for the 15th time repeating that but all custom builds are no refunds. I offered to refund him now I'm still being accused and persecuted? I give up y'all have at it. Keep fueling the fire trying to ruin someone's livelihood because of an error in judgement guess that makes me a bad person huh???

Admins please remove me from this forum
Thank you

All you have to do is give the guy his refund and this all goes away. Is that going to happen?

All you have to do is give the guy his refund and this all goes away. Is that going to happen?

Yes it is just like I stated previously. But no matter what happens now this doesn't go away. It may for the few of you that's commenting and keeping it going after several have asked for it to stop. Yes it will stop for you, but look at how many people have read this thread and the accusations that have been made not knowing any of the facts on assuming....
No they go tell their friends so that's double the amount that originally read it. Now how does that effect my business and a way if supporting my family??? All because of a mistake or error in my judgement. So no it will never go away for me people will only be scared of the "rumors" they have heard from people that don't even know the truth.
I mean come on if I was trying to scam anyone or steal thei money I wouldn't be trying to defend myself. I'd hide, change my business name or something! But people are quick to judge and make wrong assumptions. But I'm the only one suffering after Brian recieved his refund IN CERTIFIED FUNDS for the ones with sarcastic comments about the check....

Man, I feel for your position. These are the first comments I have made on it simply because I have no interest in harming a man's business. The only suggestion I have for you is that you are in a hole, so quit digging. Trying to defend yourself won't work until the money is in Brian's bank account.

I wish you better luck.

Folks, lets hault the pileon for now and give Builtrite a chance to make good. Then Brian and Builtrite can keep us posted as to the outcome, but for now, we dont really need the dogpile. Enough laundry has been aired and right now it seems theres too many cooks in the kitchen. Lets let things play out for a bit and let Brian keep us posted with the outcome.

What part of the above warning was difficult to understand??

Builtrite said 30 days for the refund.. hes still a week out. Your points have been well made so dog-piling isn't helping Brian get a refund any faster, and instead may be making matters worse by causing builtrite to drop out of sight again. At least hes showing a presence here and not avoiding this thread or brian. So for Brians sake, let the commenting end now. Only ones who should be posting in here for now should be Brian with an update or builtrite.

Back