View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 07:50 AM   #16
nukenight
On the road to being a farker

So you are telling me that spending $50-80 for a one-time class makes a person a "real" BBQ judge? I think not. BBQ is for everyone! I've been a KCBS certified judge for 97 contests. Likewise, I've also been an IBCA "head judge" (similar to a KCBS contest Rep) 79 times while managing to cook 23 times. Basically, in all those experiences, the differences between IBCA and KCBS are basically style. Both do a good job with consistent results. They just do it in different ways. I could write you a tome on the specific style differences, but this is not the time nor the place for that. Both IBCA and KCBS styles grew up out of the regions in which they started. Good BBQ wins contests, regardless of sanctioning. Now you could argue that KCBS values appearance more than IBCA, but this might have more to do with the way the product is judged, than anything else. Try an IBCA contest some time. I think you will like it. I will end this comment with the words I usually tell cooks who are used to KCBS contests that decide to try an IBCA contest, "If it was me, I'd make the product slightly more tender and well done than in a KCBS event, since the judges taste it with a knife and fork". I also add that "good BBQ is good BBQ and the cream will rise to the top".
nukenight is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->