Do you like your own cooking?

icemn62

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Lately whenever I BBQ something I find thatI am not happy with it after it is done. I may take a taste of it and like that, but I no longer seem to have a desire to "pig out" on my food. Other people tell me the food is good, but I can always find something "wrong" with it, even if it is only an appearance thing.

Does this happen to you?

I don't know if you cook daily or just on weekends, but sometimes when I cook a lot you kind of tend to get fed up with the same things and when this happens I tend to not want to try my own food until the next day. Don't know if that makes any sense or not , but that happens to me often. Oh and the food is great.

I am happy with my go to back yard stuff, but now that I have taken a competition class and do test cooks 2-3 times a month I find those I am not hugely satisfied with.

Goes to show you cook different for yourself than for the judges.

I find the act of barbecueing to be much more satisfying than the product. I have found that as my skills advance, so do my standards for my own cooking. I am still trying to get it "just right" by what I think is good food. I tend to scrutinize it when others are falling all over it.

I'm with you icemn - I think I'm a little picky about my own cooking and would love to do better. One of the ways I know I'm doing OK is when I cook for the guys at work. You start heating it up and the smell gets around the next thing you know it's gone and a lot of happy faces.

I am pretty critical of my own cooking, and can usually find something I can do better next time. The plates at my house are always emptied, so it must be okay. I thought the family was just being nice, so I started taking some to the neighbors to get opinions, and they are eating it too, so it must be okay.

Maybe its time to shake things up! I know your cooking is great, but we all get tired of the same things. Over the past month, I worked on my spatchcocked chicken and tried making bacon.

On the other hand, I snack a lot as I cook, and I do seem to eat less after a long cook. Anyway, if you get tired of your stuff, just send some to Georgia!

Maybe its time to shake things up! I know your cooking is great, but we all get tired of the same things. Over the past month, I worked on my spatchcocked chicken and tried making bacon.

On the other hand, I snack a lot as I cook, and I do seem to eat less after a long cook. Anyway, if you get tired of your stuff, just send some to Georgia!

That's my feelings exactly. I get tired of the same old butt/brisket/rib thing. I like to do different things. I have a pork loin curing in Andouille sausage cure that I'm going to stuff with the trinity and some crawfish tails and smoke this weekend:cool: Gotta do different stuff. Make youself a batch of Buckboard bacon.

That may be the answer for me, I think I am just to picky, but it may be that I need to add some new stuff to the lineup. Saturday I am to smoke a meatloaf and I am sure the GF will have some type of idea of what she wants me to cook. I do know that I will NOT be cooking chicken again for some time. I just did 30 pcs for a pot luck here and I am sick of the stuff.

maybe we should swap some Q back and forth with each other. ok, someone start it by sending me something!!!:p:p:wink:

I like my food very much.
I'm always very critical of it and I always want to imporve, but over all, I'm usually very pleased with the results.

I like everything I cook, except ribs. Everyone else loves them, but I just can't seem to get them the way I want them!

I am the same, once I am done cooking after all the prep, smoking, and coolering. When we eat I am usually not satisfied or even hungry, but everyone else loves it. Now most of the time the next day I like it again.

I'm the same way. maybe because I am always pulling off all the ends and sampling them as soon as they start getting cooked!

I think I have a certain flavor/texture goal in mind when I start...when the outcome doesn't match I am always disappointed. It also happens when I try to make homemade pizza.

I am my own worst critic! I have not had anything to bitch about lately and everyone is going hog wild over my dishes. I am tending to start to eat in a more moderate fashion and seem to be keeping my physique loking better than uisual.

After a big cook I not usually hungry. But other people seem to love it. For instance a few week ago a did some chicken leg and thiegh for a church supper actually i felt bad about bring them they was eaten up an people still asking for them
I thought they was awful

This has been going on with me since day one of my BBQing. Everyone says I am my own worst critic when it comes to my que. I think I'm OK but it seems like everyone elses I taste is so much better than mine.

I'm with you guys. People love my food. Even when I know I've messed it up some way, it never lasts. But it's a strange day that I actually chow down on it. The smells and the process usually fill me up.

One of the reasons I cook really comes down to being able to see other people enjoy it. I love watching my boys walking around double fisting brisket pieces while chewing away. Work has been killing everyone lately and I know that nothing makes the week better for them when I bring in Hump Day bbq.

Back