Is this smokable?

stangman327

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well I know it’s “smokable” but is it worth doing?

I happened into BJ’s today and seen it sitting there and almost mistaken it for a brisket until I read it what it was.

IMG_4823.jpg

Big piece of meet, why not give it a try?

My take - approach it like a brisket.

Better for roast beef...but seriously good for that purpose. As already suggested, cook till 125 or so. Let it rest on the counter until it hits around 140-150, then slice in half & refrigerate. Take from the fridge & put in the freezer for about an hour(?). Pull from freezer & slice thin. Portion & freeze.

Smoke to IT of 130 then refrigerate and slice really thin for great roast beef sandwiches. Does not have enough fat to cook like a brisket, JMHO.

Some of the best advice I've heard in 2017 AND 2018. Beautiful advice and would make for some tasty sandwiches.

I wouldn't try smoking it whole. By the time it 130F IT, the rest of it is going to be overcooked and tough. I would cut it into 2 x 2 inch long strips, marinate it and rotisserie it till it hits 125F IT and let it rest.

Better for roast beef...but seriously good for that purpose. As already suggested, cook till 125 or so. Let it rest on the counter until it hits around 140-150, then slice in half & refrigerate. Take from the fridge & put in the freezer for about an hour(?). Pull from freezer & slice thin. Portion & freeze.

Did no one notice my mistake there? LoL...I said cook it to 125 and let it rest till it his 150? WTF?!?

Of course, I'm so used to talking about barbecue on this site that my fingers were typing about roast beef, but my mind was thinking along the lines of brisket or something.

Cook to 125, and let it rest for an hour or more. Then slice. That is what I should have said.

I wouldn't try smoking it whole. By the time it 130F IT, the rest of it is going to be overcooked and tough. I would cut it into 2 x 2 inch long strips, marinate it and rotisserie it till it hits 125F IT and let it rest.

Not at all. Cook it around 200-250...no higher...and it will cook fairly even through. It's only 12#.

Bottom round is widely used for roast beef.

Would make great pit beef

Grill med rare slice thin, throw on a roll with raw onion, bbq sauce and horseradish

Not at all. Cook it around 200-250...no higher...and it will cook fairly even through. It's only 12#.

Bottom round is widely used for roast beef.

I have marinated london broil (bottom round) which is typically cut into 2 inch thick roasts. Grilled them on high heat for a min or two per side, then into the oven at low heat till reach IT of 125-128F then 10 min rest and slices on the bias. If done right, its almost as tender as filet mignon.

Sous Vide to 125 then reverse sear...

Sous Vide to 125 then reverse sear...

He wants to smoke it. If he SV it, theres no point of smoking, especially at such low temps that cut calls for. It wont take on very much smoke.

Back