• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Tips for Backwoods & Smoke Ring (ribs etc)

Dubs

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I have been getting use to this smoker. Some rib and butt cooks seem to get a good smoke ring and others do not. What temp do users of Backwoods use for ribs, pork butt and brisket? What woods? I have been doing 250 degrees with a mix of cherry and pecan and Kingsford's lump briquettes. Any pictures? Thanks!

Smoke rings on meat have more to do with the meat then anything else. Your temps and wood choice are just fine.

Try regular lump. It's all i used and have me a better ring. I found with my 2 backwoods you could put in a good bit of wood and not over smoke. I used the same word mix you have.

Try regular lump. It's all i used and have me a better ring. I found with my 2 backwoods you could put in a good bit of wood and not over smoke. I used the same word mix you have.

Thanks for the advice. I logged in today looking specifically for smoke ring tips for water smokers. I just got a Backwoods earlier this month and have done a brisket and pork butt on it so far. Neither had the same smoke ring I had from my old offset smoker.

For my next cook on Saturday I will go in a little heavier with the wood chunks. Last time I used hickory and pecan. Going to use some cherry in the mix on this cook.

You will get more of a smoke flavor and most likely ring with the offset
That being said you can get a great product with that backwoods Put the meat on directly from the fridge Cold meat absorbs more smoke

I have a Backwoods also. When I want a deeper ring, I make sure to use cherry chunks for 50% of my smoking wood and I also run at a lower temp for at least 1 hour, 210-220. I then typically bump up to 240ish. I use Kingsford Professional or Weber briquettes. I always put meat on cold. If you do all that, you should get a consistent ring, but it will not be an offset depth ring. Also, I do not do a mustard or other slather under a rub. I don't know if that impacts the smoke ring but thought I would mention it.

Good luck.

Agree with the cold meat from the fridge. Also, if you are not letting your rub sit on the meat for at least 30 minutes prior to smoking, the moisture its pulling from the meat during the first hour could affect the smoke ring.

Back