Our Griddle Refurb/ Blackstone Clone

Titch

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Some may or may not remember, I picked up a Cafe Griddle for free, plan was to clone a Blackstone style flatplate.
The equivalent to a Blackstone here is way over a Grand and I have no idea on how good they are.
Covid certainly made the whole exercise interesting, parts procurement and availability.
We also had a Warf strike and our country have trouble getting stuff out of China at the moment.
Hurt feelings I believe
Anyhow
I digress, I originally thought this had a stainless top but it appears it was case hardened
1/2 thick plate,1/8 thick side walls and as solid as a brick outhouse.
some cleaning was required, so we started.

TBC

Started cleaning the frame and ended up burning all the grease as the frame was filled in the legs etc, the grease ran out and burnt for a few hours.
I got as excited as the Beverly Hillbillies.
Black Gold, Texas Tea.

Any excuse to light a fire, interesting smells, one minute Cheesburger, then onion LOL, Hope I never ate out of this Burger/cafe joint

This thing ran on Natural gas, so the next challenge was to convert it to LPG, you are supposed to be licensed here to do that.
Interesting enough it was cheap to buy whole Gas valves with LPG jets , they came complet with Knobs etc, around the $23 mark. 3 needed.

Some High temp pipe sealant from the States and fitout started

What to do with sheilding etc as its going down to our Campsite type place, Of to our local recycling centre and grabbed an old BBQ that was an almost exact fit

Lid and shields being fitted up,

TBC

Now some more, nothing overly exciting but

For the life of me I could not get an auto lighter to work, maybe the gas pressure is too high for that, dont know, but a long necked lighter does the job safely

All up this owes us around 270 Aud, or by my last payrate, about 6.5 hours of Work.I,m pretty happy with that.
That included Gas Valves, high temp paint, sealant and Old BBQ

Thanks for looking

Killer job on the refurb and refit! Love the addition of the gasser hood... just makes sense.

I'd be proud to own one like this over in the US...

Many more flat top cooks to come for you folks!

Enjoy!

That is an awesome refurb and it's even better knowing how much you saved. For a minute I wondered why your plate said "Tit Cheese", but then I remembered your user name. Good stuff.

Man Titch that is one fine job you did with bringing that back to glorious life. I think you might have found your side hustle. :clap2:

Amazing job with the refurb Titch! That looks amazing. I'm really digging the hood, I could see that coming in handy quite often

Might Fine Sir! Best refurbish I've seen. Love that clean blue flame. On that igniter, Try it in the dark to see if you can see a spark. If you can it's a positioning problem. If not buy a new assembly. Great cooker you created!

Back