Open floor

B

bbqjoe

Any issues, or topics related to food safety and handling, that need to be discussed or addessed? Anything you feel that might not have been looked at?

Foods like breads, pies, cakes etc.. that aren't intended to be served hot or cold. What are the storage rules on those and how does one determine if a food item qualifies for that group of "room temp" items.

I guess condiments would also end up in a similar catagory also. I've never had a bottle of sauce or ketchup arrive at my table cold from a fridge, although nearly every container I have of such stuff says to refrigerate after opening.

Storage/handling of Butter, Mayo, etc. There is actually some interesting info on mayo that get's me strange looks when quoting.

Frozen temperature vs. safe (as opposed to quality) storage time.

does 'Our style' of cooking really act as a type of preserative for the meat?? We all notice that the smoked stuff is still good after weeks in storage.

Meaning...officially, will BBQ'ed ribs hold in the fridge longer than grilled or (eeeekk) baked.

or are we just blowing smoke?

timzcardz said:
Storage/handling of Butter, Mayo, etc. There is actually some interesting info on mayo that get's me strange looks when quoting.

Frozen temperature vs. safe (as opposed to quality) storage time.
Please elaborate. What do you got?

Must go rescue car from repair shop today.
I will do some investigating on some of these questions.
In the meantime, have at it guys.
See you tomorrow!
Joe

timzcardz said:
Mayonnaise doesn't actually require refrigeration from a safety standpoint.

http://www.co.yakima.wa.us/health/documents/mayoo.pdf

I agree - especially with modern mayo using pasteurized eggs..the vinegar acts as a preservative. It's the boiled eggs, meat, and other stuff IN the product that's using the mayo that spoils.

We made our own mayo at Luby's and most of the volume stores never refrigerated the mayo - it stayed in a lexan in the salad department...of course we used gallons and gallons a day with salad dressings and such - and NO we did not have severe outbreaks of food poisoning!

However, some people will NEVER believe this...and that's OK..better to be safe than sorry.

Cleaning of equipment, coolers, slicers, ice makers and food prep areas. What I'm referring to is caring for all the support equipment that we use. Not the knives and dishes, but the bigger things. Somewhat in-line with the lighting referenced above

Back