Looking For Advice on Smoking Whole Potatoes More Consistently

wire-it-up

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Not terribly long ago, I decided I wanted to try smoking some side dishes along with the main course. Not knowing anything about smoking potatoes, and not checking anything Online first, I just threw some in on a grate above the meat. My wife and I thought they turned out fantastic. We really like the smokey flavor they absorb. However, I don't get the same results every time. I have found that pecan wood seems to provide a stronger smoke for potatoes than cherry does. I only use pecan with beef, which I don't cook nearly as often as pork.

But the main reason for this post is to ask those of you who smoke whole potatoes these 3 questions?

1. What type of potato have you found to be the best for smoking whole?

2. What temperature is your smoker running when you cook the potatoes?

3. How long do you cook them to get the texture you like?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Spuds are better cooked over higher heat and wrapped.

Here's an interesting recipe:

Potato Bombs:

-Core a medium baking potato down the center with an apple corer, save the core. Make a big batch for guests...they rock.

-Stuff the cavity with whatever in the world you might want stuffed into a spud....use your imagination.

-Plug the holes with the reserved cores

-Wrap the spud in bacon, foil tight, and cook about 375, turning halfway through for and hour or change until done. Not an absolute measure of done, I probe for tenderness to determine that.

I'm going to make these very soon, possibly this Saturday. My wife may not eat them, as she's not big on bacon. But I know I'll love it, and we have guests coming who will like them too. I'll cook them in the oven, because I never crank my Humphrey's up that high.

I'm going to make these very soon, possibly this Saturday. My wife may not eat them, as she's not big on bacon. But I know I'll love it, and we have guests coming who will like them too. I'll cook them in the oven, because I never crank my Humphrey's up that high.

You can skip the bacon. The stuffing will sell the spud. Maybe a drizzle of olive oil and some salt on them before you wrap. The oven is fine...the spuds are wrapped.

Let me know how it worked out and post pics! :-D

I just wash, coat with olive oil and salt. Wrap in foil and they cook for 5 hours at 225, the length of a rib cook. Smoke gets in and they are a family favorite.

I just wash, coat with olive oil and salt. Wrap in foil and they cook for 5 hours at 225, the length of a rib cook. Smoke gets in and they are a family favorite.

5 hrs wow. Not disagreeing but that's a long time. I'm usually baking potatoes at 350-400, getting them done fast as possible. I'm not a fan of smokey taters so its usually the oven or wrapped.

Is the texture different or is it just a matter of convenience being the duration of the rib cook?

Potatoes are something that I throw in when I have room, or after a cook while the cooker is still hot. I'll toss in wither russet potatoes or sweet potatoes and cook them until done. We also do smaller gold or red potatoes in foil as mentioned above.

Sounds like a lot of work. I microwave them for 4-5 minutes then cut them up and throw on the veggie griddle on the grill.

The potato bombs sound awesome

I can give you a tip for even doneness and a shorter cooking time if that is what you mean by consistently. The top photo is a vertical stand I built years ago, and the second photo shows "potato nails". The theory is the spikes conduct heat and speed up the cooking time as they cook from the inside out and outside in. Google "potato baking stand" or "potato nails" and you will find many choices.

6qkpc8U.jpg

kimVX6U.jpg

I often put sweet potatoes on the kettle. They take 45-60 minutes. Very delicious.

For the potatoe bombs in the recipe listed above, the BBQ Pit Boys on YouTube did that recipe. I tried it and it’s awesome. But a pineapple corer works better than an apple corer. It just makes s bigger hole.

In fact, slice the potatoes and scoop out the insides, mix your toppings and scooped out potato....similar to twice baked potatoes. Then close the two halves and use bamboo skewers to seal. Smoke or bbq for an hour or so. More filling inside the tater this way.

Here in germany it's pretty popular to wrap them in foil, ad some olive oil or butter and throw them in the coals when grilling. Takes about 30-45 min depending on the size and is delicious with sour cream.

From the baconarea of bratwurstcountry

Back