Spanish Oak?

Wesman61

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience smoking with Spanish Oak? My cousin in Texas sells it. I'm just wondering how it compares to post oak.

There are a zillion varieties of oaks. Not sure what a Spanish Oak is. Must be from a different part of Texas than where I am. In my area, there is white oak, red oak, etc. Post oak comes from areas to the west of me. So..... people cook with what is available in their area. I can get hickory, pecan and mesquite also but I pretty much stay with oak because of its abundance and price. I have a 1/4 cord of post oak seasoning right now. Currently using red oak. Spanish oak is likely a wood that would work fine but no one talks about it in the Houston area.

There are a zillion varieties of oaks. Not sure what a Spanish Oak is. Must be from a different part of Texas than where I am. In my area, there is white oak, red oak, etc. Post oak comes from areas to the west of me. So..... people cook with what is available in their area. I can get hickory, pecan and mesquite also but I pretty much stay with oak because of its abundance and price. I have a 1/4 cord of post oak seasoning right now. Currently using red oak. Spanish oak is likely a wood that would work fine but no one talks about it in the Houston area.

My cousin lives in Sabinal, West of San Antonio.

Back