• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Thermometers?

B

BReds

Hello all!

I apologize if this question has been asked many times and is getting a little repetitive, but I wanted to get some advice on a thermometer. I am new to the smoking game here and was thinking about getting a digital thermometer. Any advice? I was wondering what types and brands people were happy with. Thanks in advance for the help.

I suspect that most people on here will suggest the Thermapen, but they are pretty expensive.
Remember, you get what you pay for. If you plan on cooking burgers, get something cheap. When I've got a $150 prime rib on the smoker, I wouldn't trust anything other than a Thermapen.

I had to chose between the Thermapen and the expensive meat cut, and picked the thermometer. :biggrin:

I go with the Taylor for 15 bucks it just 10 sec difference. Had a Taylor for over year cook over 1,500 pound of pork butts last year still working perfect.

Maverick ET-73 backed by a BLUE thermapen is the superior set up

Thermapens are available for $80 w/ free shipping for Brethren from kck.com ( I think it was $80.)

IF you are not looking for spot checking, but leaving the probe in the meat for remote watching... the Maverick Pat noted rocks! I love mine. They are alot of places online, kck.com would also be competitive on those as well.

I know someone mentioned a cheap thermo for burgers.... but for burgers, chops, steaks -- that is when the thermapen really shines. thermocouple just has to be in the meat and you get instant read... perfect for smaller, more delicate cuts.

And I believe if you look in the Jack thread, Phil and I tried to put the color war to rest... by testing Red, Blue, and Orange in the prime rib we had for dinner :) I suggest one of each for your own indendant review

There are some good thermoworks too for about 20-30, but nothing is better that a Thermapen.

Right or wrong?

Pit thermometer...
Reference and subject to the elements. Recalibratable one is best. Tele tru or Spicewine

Meat thermometer. Difference between getting it right and ruining a hunk of meat. Also a guide for finish time. Spend some cash. Maverick or Taylor.

Final say,
Very important for Poultry, Fish, less than medium Beef/ pork. Difference between happy and sick customers. Should read quick. Only have experience with thermapen.

Temp inside the smoker

A
Are you guy talking about the temp inside of the smoker or temp of the meat. whats the best thermometer to use for monitoring you smoker temp. I have an ECB and I'm looking to buy on so i can get a more accurate temp of the inside of the smoker.

Maverick ET-73 backed by a BLUE thermapen is the superior set up

I agee with Norco with the addition of the Maverick Redi-Check. The Redi-check has both High and Low settings for the smoker and a probe for the meat... If I had to choose two, it would be the BLUE thermapen and the Redi-Check.

Back