• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Detroit'ish Style First Try (on Pit Boss)

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
There a detroit style frozen pizza we've been getting a decent amount that I like so I figure I'd give my own a try.

The last time I did pizza on my Pit Boss it didn't go so well :-D

Since we'll be making pizza for xmas eve I'm giving it a test run.

Doing it on my Laredo and gave it and my weber a scrape down today
7Z9fafol.jpg

Picked up 2 of these pans on Amazon.
yCBmnpal.jpg

I made dough yesterday and the 2 batches I made for normal thin crust seemed like extra for these size pans so I tore some off. We'll see how it does.

I don't know if my recipe, or really anything I'm doing, negates the formal "Detroit'ness" of this style. Just using what I have on hand.
TlScMS0l.jpg

p2NUICQl.jpg

Ubkg2JNl.jpg

I have my oven inside going in case I start the murder this pizza or it doesn't seem to be cooking even :becky:. Temp set to "high" which gets 500'ish

Getting a bunch more cooks in now that our new deck is in place. The previous deck on this house was rotten to hell :icon_smile_tongue:
NvCycAGl.jpg

aN0ZqmLl.jpg

p8tvt5Rl.jpg

More to come............

Lookin really good so far. Our favorite Detroit Style is Jets but, haven't made it to Buddy's either.

Solid for a first shot. Was worried about it burning on the bottom. Took about 20mins in the pitboss.

Gotta get a more detroit style dough which I've read is more of a wetter dough. Was a little more dense and not as chewy, so will work on that.

Anyone got a Detroit dough recipe they like?
20211223_114718.jpg20211223_121139.jpg20211223_121459.jpg20211223_121626.jpg20211223_123115.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

That looks great, especially for a first go. Not sure on the dough, but maybe something closer to a focaccia style dough. Seems closer to what you're shooting for

Not to shabby at all. Deck is nice. Focaccia bread dough is what you’re looking for.

That looks great, especially for a first go. Not sure on the dough, but maybe something closer to a focaccia style dough. Seems closer to what you're shooting for

Thanks. The little bit of digging I've been doing now said the 2nd proofing/ferment, where you basically put the dough in the pan, cover it and let it ferment for like 90mins is one way to do it.

I'll keep digging. Thanks for the tips. Probably a few ways to do it.

Thanks. The little bit of digging I've been doing now said the 2nd proofing/ferment, where you basically put the dough in the pan, cover it and let it ferment for like 90mins is one way to do it.

I'll keep digging. Thanks for the tips. Probably a few ways to do it.

After ordering two Lloyd's Detroit style pans that sat around for a month, I finally cooked my first Detroit style pie a few weeks ago. If it had not been over proofed, I believe it would have been excellent. As it was, it was pretty darned good, though I did not take pictures.

I used the King Arthur recipe, for the dough only:

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/king-arthurs-detroit-style-pizza-recipe

A couple of things I did differently, based on making a lot of pizza over the years, and knowing in advance how this dough would behave:

1. I used deli sliced low moisture mozz and provolone. The reason for this is I wanted to make sure every edge of the pizza had cheese on it so the maiillard reaction would be consistent across the back edge of the pie. It tuned out beautifully, with about a 1/2 inch thick back edge/rim that was a deep, dark brown with a delicious crunch.

2. I used my homemade sauce recipe, and did not cook it. Cooking a pizza sauce dulls the brightness of the tomatoes and it becomes more like a pasta sauce.

3. While not quite traditional, I added one layer of cheese as a base over the dough, then the sauce, then one more layer of cheese on top, along with some pepperoni. The first layer of cheese acted as a barrier and kept the dough from getting soggy.

Hope this helps in some way...

After ordering two Lloyd's Detroit style pans that sat around for a month, I finally cooked my first Detroit style pie a few weeks ago. If it had not been over proofed, I believe it would have been excellent. As it was, it was pretty darned good, though I did not take pictures.

I used the King Arthur recipe, for the dough only:

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/king-arthurs-detroit-style-pizza-recipe

A couple of things I did differently, based on making a lot of pizza over the years, and knowing in advance how this dough would behave:

1. I used deli sliced low moisture mozz and provolone. The reason for this is I wanted to make sure every edge of the pizza had cheese on it so the maiillard reaction would be consistent across the back edge of the pie. It tuned out beautifully, with about a 1/2 inch thick back edge/rim that was a deep, dark brown with a delicious crunch.

2. I used my homemade sauce recipe, and did not cook it. Cooking a pizza sauce dulls the brightness of the tomatoes and it becomes more like a pasta sauce.

3. While not quite traditional, I added one layer of cheese as a base over the dough, then the sauce, then one more layer of cheese on top, along with some pepperoni. The first layer of cheese acted as a barrier and kept the dough from getting soggy.

Hope this helps in some way...

Awesome. I like the cheese first idea. I definitely needed more cheese in general. I'm not necessarily going for the most authentic in terms of how the toppings get added. Mostly trying to figure out the dough part. I love thin crust, but like the chewiness of the detroit.

I saw this on ATK a while ago but, so far never found the time to try. It looked very close to ones we get around here. Let me know how it turns out for you if you try.

Detroit-Style Pizza

Ingredients:

1 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
2¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 cup warm water
3/4 teaspoon salt
10 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
Tomato Sauce (recipe follows)

Directions:

1. Spray a 13 x 9-inch nonstick baking pan with cooking spray. Brush bottom and sides of pan with the tablespoon of olive oil.

2. Using a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix flour, yeast and sugar on low speed for 10 seconds. With mixer running, slowly add the water and mix until dough forms and no dry flour remains. about 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl as needed. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 10 minutes.

3. Add salt to the mixing bowl and knead dough on medium speed until the dough is smooth and clears the sides of the bowl, about 7 minutes. Transfer dough to the prepared pan, cover with plastic wrap, and allow to rest for 15 minutes.

4. Press dough into corners of pan (Oil your fingers to make it easier, if necessary) and let rest until doubled in size, about 2 hours.

5. Preheat oven to 500℉.

6. Sprinkle cheese over dough evenly to the sides of the pan.

7. Spoon three (1 inch wide) strips of sauce over cheese evenly down the length of the pan.

8. Bake until cheese is melted and starting to brown, about 15 minutes.

9. Let pizza cool in pan on a rack for 5 minutes.

10. Run a knife around edges of pan. Use large spatulas to loosen the whole pizza from the pan and transfer it to a cutting board. Cut into squares and serve.

Serves 4

Tomato Sauce

Ingredients:

1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
1 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tbs chopped fresh basil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions:

1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl. (Sauce can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours)

Unrelated...those dog doors on screen doors-are the best things ever. We have the same setup so we can let ours go out to the front deck, but can easily control when. Always happy to see someone else with them ( =

Unrelated...those dog doors on screen doors-are the best things ever. We have the same setup so we can let ours go out to the front deck, but can easily control when. Always happy to see someone else with them ( =

Ha. Good eye. They came with the house and seems genius. No dogs for us, but I personally use it for fun :biggrin1:

Nice. Looks like it's coming out well. Great looking deck too.

I've not tried Detroit style, but some recipes I've looked at which looked reasonable were from Chef John and Gozney.

I'd happily demolish a slice or three!
And if you ever do get dogs - you'll really appreciate the dog door!

I’m still working on “regular “ pizzas. Now your really confusing me…[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Awesome. I like the cheese first idea. I definitely needed more cheese in general. I'm not necessarily going for the most authentic in terms of how the toppings get added. Mostly trying to figure out the dough part. I love thin crust, but like the chewiness of the detroit.

The dough recipe I posted produced a moderately light, airy crust. With the added crunch on the bottom and sides, I think it lived up to what a good Detroit pie should be.

I skipped the conventional "Detroit style" approach to topping the pizza, as I never quite got my head around adding the sauce to the pie right after it cooked, as is done with most Detroit pies, as well as adding it in lines across the top, which means some pieces will have little to no sauce, so with some pieces, you have a piece of cheese bread, instead of pizza.

The combination of thinly sliced mozz and provolone not only gave me the flavor I was looking for, the cheese had a nice pull and string to it.

I plan to make another soon and will document it with pictures etc.

The dough recipe I posted produced a moderately light, airy crust. With the added crunch on the bottom and sides, I think it lived up to what a good Detroit pie should be.

I skipped the conventional "Detroit style" approach to topping the pizza, as I never quite got my head around adding the sauce to the pie right after it cooked, as is done with most Detroit pies, as well as adding it in lines across the top, which means some pieces will have little to no sauce, so with some pieces, you have a piece of cheese bread, instead of pizza.

The combination of thinly sliced mozz and provolone not only gave me the flavor I was looking for, the cheese had a nice pull and string to it.

I plan to make another soon and will document it with pictures etc.

I totally agree with the sauce thing.

Back