Burnt ends?

Do you make burnt ends when cooking a packer brisket?

• Always

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 23 43.4%
  • Never

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • What are burnt ends

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

qnbiker

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]I've seen several youtube videos of brisket cooks recently, and in some of them, the cooks just slice right through the point and flat. In others, they make burnt ends. I always make burnt ends. What about you?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I apologize if this has been asked before - heck, I may have asked - but I've never eaten brisket where the point and flat weren't separated.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

I only started doing burnt ends in the last 3 years. Part of that is that I usually only cook a brisket 2 times a year and I would slice the whole thing because I didnt really look at how to make burnt ends. Also, a restaurant that I frequented had "burnt rib ends" (rib tips) and that stuck in my head as what I liked for burnt ends. Now, I try to plan ahead to separate the two pieces for burnt ends because I like them so much. I have made them the last two times I did a whole brisket.

I’ve never understood ruining the best part of the brisket, but that’s just me...

The point is too good by itself. I like meat and smoke flavored brisket, not sweet.

When I’m doing multiple briskets I’ll keep the fire burning for burnt ends. One point... not so much

Last edited:
I am in the minority here. I make burnt ends "occasionally" but not often.
I love the little meat explosions. I really do. They are sweet and extra work. Sometimes I don't want sweet and most times I don't want extra work.
So, I get the idea of them. And I love them. But I only cook them occasionally

The point is too good by itself. I like meat and smoke flavored brisket, not sweet.

You don't have to use a sweet BBQ sauce, or even a BBQ sauce at all. I cube the point and then put the cubes in a pan with the au jus from the brisket, toss the cubes in the au jus, and put the pan in the cooker until the cubes are super tender. The au jus also tends to thicken up just a bit during this process, so it's almost like a beef au jus sauce...they are divine.

Mind you I separate the point from the flat before I cook, and this way I get rub and smoke penetration all the way around both muscles. I can also get the flat perfectly tender without having to worry if all the internal fat from the point has rendered properly.

Back