Weber Kettle Vents

Burn

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Jimmy
So I use the kettle for mainly ribs, chicken, and the occasional brisket. In the past I’ve had most of the other style cookers. I love the kettle though my neighbors stick burner kills my brisket. My question is, how many just run with the vents wide open? I use the snake method 3 high and have no idea how hot it is but the food turns out great most of the time. I like not having the gauge because I used to be so fixated on the temps and now I just check every hour or so. I’d think closing vents would result in dirty smoke.

I use a kettle a lot. Vents usually wide open. 2x2 snake. 2x1 snake or 2x2x1 snake. I usually use the amount of coals for my snake to get the temp I want a run with the vents wide open. That being said, I do sometimes close the bottom vent some to dampen a temp flare up from grease, wood, whatever. I don't need to, but I still watch the gauge. I just don't freak out over a 25 degree swing up or down anymore. My snake is usually 4 coals and runs just about 250. I go 3 or 5 if my target is higher or lower. The temperature of the day and sun load also seem to be a factor. Closing the vents a little is okay to me, but I wouldn't want to keep them like that for extended period due to excess fuel. That might yield dirty smoke in my opinion

Charcoal cooking you'll need choke fire on Weber kettle, wide open you'll be 300+ unless you have tiny amount coal

Snake using 4, I run the bottom vent about1/4 open after initial heat up

I generally use about 8 coals and piece of wood to start out. Ribs still take about 4 hours.

You need to be careful choking down a stick burner but for charcoal, there isn't a problem with using the vents to control the temperature. At least once the charcoal gets warmed up a bit. On a Kamado you only need things cracked open to hold smoking temps. On the Kettle (with a slow and sear in my case) I have the more open but still not wide open. Maybe half on the bottom and a third on the top.

The snake you are using is the other approach where you're proving even less charcoal at any given point in time but both methods will give similar results.

I do think that a snake will hold the temperature more stable without fussing than some other setups (though the S&S does very well).

I'm not a fan of the snake but prefer a pile of unlit lump with some lit coals to get the thing going. From there the bottom vents control the temp and the top vents stay open for exhaust...For me it's just like running the stick burner but without live fire.

I keep the top wide open and the bottom open just enough to slide a pencil in.

For chicken, all vents wide open, full throttle for 300+. Everything else, 1/2 to 1/4 bottom vent open and top vent wide open unless monitored temp gets too high, then I’ll throw on the brakes by shutting top vent till temp falls back. That gives me 250-275 with SnS, baskets or banked on both 22” and 26”.

Back