Resurfacing newer Lodge to get better non stick

Yeup. I did this to all my cast iron a while back. Makes all the difference in the world!

I used my air grinder, then my Air ROS. Slickem up, and reseason.

I'll take 3 of them fried eggs while the skillet is hot!
I've got bacon for tradin....

so... i am going to go out on a limb and be a party pooper, but why do you guys really use cast iron for anymore anyway? i'm not trying to judge you all but i think it is alot of work, upkeep, aggravation and inconvenience just for the mediocre non stick results of frying an egg. is it just for nostalgia. if so, i can understand. i am a barber and i always hear that the best shaves can be had from a straight razor but i can tell you that the reason people do not use straight razors any more is because they are junk compared to a modern day schick extreme three.

I don’t do many eggs in them, but sure do like my Dutch oven for bread, and the 2 loaf pans for when I want loaf shape, one pot meals, fried potatoes, pizza, nachos, and you want to talk about a good grilled cheese!
The other day steaks were on the menu, but rain ruined the chance for the grill...CI pan for the steak saved the day.

Well done, cast iron never fails. We have 5 different sized lodge on our stove top, keep them well seasoned and have little problems with sticking. Would love to have a Griswald but have not found one that is reasonably priced. I jump between butter and bacon grease for eggs. We also have several footed Dutch ovens and used them on scout camp outs with no complaints on the food. Enjoy

i love me some CI. My pileaus don't touch any other kind of pot. I love Lodge, but if money is tight Academy's line isn't bad either for the price.

So I moved into house with a electric glass countertop. Think polishing the undersides of my CIs will make them less prone to scratching the glass? I’m sure I’m smart enough to not drop the damn thing.

I've heard our stove tec's telling customers your not supposed to use them on the glass tops but a lot of folks do. I do know they make a plate to put down to transfer the heat and not scratch the surface. No eggs in mine as I prefer a none stick but every thing else they work great, no warping and temps stay even , also no lard for long term storage as it can and will turn rancid if not properly dried out.

Taking a chance here. Did you happen to weigh it before and after? I think Lodge makes a good product at awesome pricing. But they are quite noticeably heavier than my vintage pieces.

Modern cast iron is thicker and heavier by design due to modern stoves putting out less even heat.

The rough surface is just a money saver since grinding/polishing it smooth is labor intensive and people won’t pay big $$$ for new cast iron.

So I moved into house with a electric glass countertop. Think polishing the undersides of my CIs will make them less prone to scratching the glass? I’m sure I’m smart enough to not drop the damn thing.

I use my Lodge skillets on our glass cooktop with no issues. Heats well, has never scratched the glass but I don't make a habit of sliding it around.

These are 10" round and 10" square CI skillets.

Loved my cast iron, but they're heavy, and it was getting hard to lift them due to various issues and arthritis, So I reserched and got an 11" steel restaurant style pan, Half the weight, seasons great, and cooks fast, I like it...maybe more then the cast iron...

The other day I was out in the garage looking for some tools and noticed the spousal unit had picked up a couple of different size cast iron from a friend. One was a Griswald in great shape, I am happy ��

Back