• Scrumptious Meat Lollipops: Armenian Style Fire Grilled Lamb Rib Chops on the KUDU

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
With the hot weather and no afternoon/early evening breezes we've been having of late, I thought it would be the perfect time to pull the KUDU out and put it under the luxuriant shade of the ash tree in our front yard. I picked out two lamb rib racks, sliced the racks into chops, and marinated them for a few hours before the cook.

Made a nice bed of coals with fully lit briquets with some hardwood lump on top:

DSC_0866resized_zpsfk07cvp8.jpg

Added two oak splits once the hardwood started burning down:

DSC_0871resized_zps7cxt7d4j.jpg

DSC_0872%20Resized_zpstpoiv0a4.jpg

Oak staring to burn down:

DSC_0875resized_zpsqdj9wc3x.jpg

Marinated chops and onions ready for the grill:

DSC_0873resized_zpsiirec6nb.jpg

And the cooking begins:

DSC_0876resized_zpshz5otwbb.jpg

About 3/4 done:

DSC_0880resized_zpssogh8wbz.jpg

I didn't take any pics of the chops after they were cooked, but here's a couple of pictures from past lamb rib chop cooks I posted a while back. Armenian style, of course:

Armenian%20BBQ%20Lamb%20Chops%2010_zps2wg1xrxq.jpg

11.19%202017%20Armenian%20Lamb%20Chops%2012_zpsw46aii5d.jpg

They were beyond tasty! And, by cooking them open fire style on the KUDU, they had an extra level of flavor simply not possible on a charcoal grill.

Since I discovered the Armenian style rub and marinade, it has become our go-to method of cooking lamb racks. Each chop gets a nice coating of the rub, so when you eat them, you get a fantastic flavor explosion, especially with some nice charred bits here and there. The acid from the lemon juice helps to further brighten and enhance the flavor of the rub.

Here's the rub/marinade recipe I use:

Armenian Style BBQ Rub

2 TBS Paprika
2 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Garlic powder
1/2 tsp Onion powder
Black Pepper to taste

Blend all ingredients, then sprinkle generously on meat till fully covered.

Put meat in a large bowl, and add enough fresh lemon juice to coat meat lightly, then add thinly sliced onions and toss everything to coat. Leave meat in bowl, covered, for a few hours, then cook meat over hot coals till done. Serve immediately.

Note: I triple the ingredients, which makes roughly 5oz, which fills most standard small size rub containers full to the top.

Looks delicious. As a recent Kudu owner I appreciate the pictures of how you set up your cook :thumb:

Looking good. We eat lamb weekly, but haven't done chops in a while. Need to do some this week.

Looks delicious. As a recent Kudu owner I appreciate the pictures of how you set up your cook :thumb:

Happy it was helpful! So far, I've only used it with oak splits, with either lump or briquettes or both as the base to get the splits started. No reason one couldn't use lump in a pinch, either.

Hope you'll start posting some cooks soon so we can see your KUDU in action!

Back