Done with the stick burners

No idea, that's a question for the charcoal companies...but I'm sure there's a reason restaurants burn down logs for embers instead of chimneys of charcoal, and it's probably more than just cost related :thumb:

Both sound like WAY more work to me than feeding logs too.

No idea, that's a question for the charcoal companies...but I'm sure there's a reason restaurants burn down logs for embers instead of chimneys of charcoal, and it's probably more than just cost related :thumb:

Both sound like WAY more work to me than feeding logs too.

In one of the videos I saw about a bbq joint that still uses wood embers, they used to get some or most of their wood for FREE.

the probably has something to do with it?

Most charcoal, also have coal and pine in it , also a bonding agent to hole the cubes together
Unless it lump charcoal

this seems to be a recurring theme here. Maybe you guys have a point :-D

not that I can afford an expensive unit (I don't like Q THAT much) but Im really loving the clean clean clean smoke of embers right now so I doubt that I will ever crave a stick burner again.

but as they say, never say never :becky:

You live in Carrollton, Texas: you HAVE to like Q THAT much....

Most charcoal, also have coal and pine in it , also a bonding agent to hole the cubes together
Unless it lump charcoal

I was using pure hardwood lump embers :becky:

Attachments

• IMG_20171206_164822855.jpg
    IMG_20171206_164822855.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 259
You live in Carrollton, Texas: you HAVE to like Q THAT much....

meh. sous vide is better
(runs and ducks for cover)

that was a joke btw in case a mod is reading. I don't need the ban hammer coming down on me for a joke :-D

.......With the increasing popularity of stick burners, many have forgotten the great art of cooking over logs freshly burnt to embers and shovelled into a pit. It's a killer way to smoke food that is also a huge favorite of mine when i've had the chance to attempt it, and the results are fabulous.

We cook with this style sometimes and everyone really likes it. We frequently cook over cedar embers, a wood that many will advise is not suitable for cooking, because of the resins present. Not only does it work, but it is tasty, as well. One merely needs to ensure the wood is completely reduced to embers first, which for us generally means utilizing a burn pit.

meh. sous vide is better
(runs and ducks for cover)

that was a joke btw in case a mod is reading. I don't need the ban hammer coming down on me for a joke :-D

You joke, but after having sous vide short ribs I'll probably never do them on the smoker ever again. Just sayin'.

that tappecue is not a bad price for the unit with 4 probes. but a couple of things.

1. does it interface through the tappecue cloud or just through your home router? if their cloud is down does that mean your unit wont work?
2. does it have an option for fan control?

a heatermeter is about the same price and it does not use a cloud server. you can access the heatermeter ip address directly through a port,
and it will control a fan for even more temp control.

that's what Ive experience. yes.

don't forget the HM can be setup with a RotoDamper that allows you to remotely close off the intake completely if you needed that for some reason.

wow thanks. I have no idea what that means but it sounds like a good thing :-D

Lurker with a can of lighter fluid and bag of matchlight 0 posts
Threw out the match light 2 posts
Got rid of the lighter fluid 5 posts
Is lookin for wood to cook with 15 posts
Got Wood 30 posts
Knows what a fatty is 50 posts
On the road to being a farker 100 posts
Full Fledged Farker 200 posts
Take a breath! 500 posts
Smokin' Farker 550 posts
One Chatty Farker 1000 posts
Is Blowin Smoke 2000 posts
Babbling Farker 2500 posts
Quintessential Chatty Farker 5000 posts
Somebody shut me the fark up!! 6500 posts

You joke, but after having sous vide short ribs I'll probably never do them on the smoker ever again. Just sayin'.

I've never even tasted sous vide but I'll tell you what I had some braised short ribs that were cooked in a white wine/port wine/mirepoix mix -zomg they were awesome

don't forget the HM can be setup with a RotoDamper that allows you to remotely close off the intake completely if you needed that for some reason.

Great point. Thanks for sharing

I think he achieved that by defending the original post :boxing:

What's there to defend. It is now a known fact that cooking with embers is superior to cooking with wood. The debate is ended :boxing: :becky:

Lurker with a can of lighter fluid and bag of matchlight 0 posts
Threw out the match light 2 posts
Got rid of the lighter fluid 5 posts
Is lookin for wood to cook with 15 posts
Got Wood 30 posts
Knows what a fatty is 50 posts
On the road to being a farker 100 posts
Full Fledged Farker 200 posts
Take a breath! 500 posts
Smokin' Farker 550 posts
One Chatty Farker 1000 posts
Is Blowin Smoke 2000 posts
Babbling Farker 2500 posts
Quintessential Chatty Farker 5000 posts
Somebody shut me the fark up!! 6500 posts

Ahh that's great to know. Thanks :thumb:

Doubtful.

OP scoffed at at a $299 Akorn.....doubtful he'll entertain the cost of a Bubba Keg. :heh:

I didnt scoff, did I ?
I was actually referring to the big expensive brittle ceramics. Its my understanding that the akorn kamado is not a ceramic cooker? or is that wrong?

(uds for life \m/ :rockon: )

I didnt scoff, did I ?
I was actually referring to the big expensive brittle ceramics. Its my understanding that the akorn kamado is not a ceramic cooker? or is that wrong?

(uds for life \m/ :rockon: )

You are correct. The Akorn is not ceramic, it is metal.

I love my pellet grill no related to post but
what the hell I love my pitboss

I think Gravity Feeds produce some of the cleanest blue smoke there is. If you like light smoke flavor, these do the trick. IMO

yes sir! as I said earlier in the thread, the best heat and smoke out of my stick burner was when it was down to the glowing embers and there was no smoke emanating from the cooker. It just smelled like heat and it was awesome. When I put my hand over the exhaust the smell was just pure.

now, Im not going to pretend like I know anything about anything, so maybe you can help.

in my limited understanding wood becomes embers when everything else is burned off and all that's left is carbon? and lump charcoal is carbonized wood?

now the heat I got out of the glowing lump charcoal smelled and acted like the ember stage of wood.

Pray, tell, what are the differences between red hot fresh embers and red hot lump charcoal?

(btw, I still have a bunch of pecan logs left. Guess whats going to be made out of them :-D )

My understanding is that charcoal is almost 100% carbon, it's called char.

When wood burns with more oxygen present, it creates char, which continues to burn, and also volatile gases, which at certain temperatures impart different more or less desirable flavours to the meat that is exposed to it.

Those embers burning still have some volatile gases present to impart flavour to the meat, the burning char does impart flavour ss well, but far less, and less complex.

So charcoal is a purer form of carbon than embers from burning logs.

Last edited:
My understanding is that charcoal is almost 100% carbon, it's called char.

When wood burns with more oxygen present, it creates char, which continues two burn, and also volatile gases, which at certain temperatures impart different more or less desirable flavours to the meat that is exposed to it.

Those embers burning still have some volatile gases present to impart flavour to the meat, the burning char does impart flavour ss well, but far less, and less complex.

So charcoal is a purer form of carbon than embers from burning logs.

Karau: "The key point is that wood is not a fuel, it is a fuel source. When wood is heated, it decomposes into two fuels: charcoal (a solid fuel that burns in a surface oxidation) and smoke (a gaseous fuel that either burns as flame or escapes the firebox unburned to re-condense in the cook box as creosote). I say again, smoke is a fuel. It contains about half of the total caloric content of wood. It burns as a flame with sufficient heat and oxygen present…."

https://amazingribs.com/model/smoker/karubecue-c-60-pit

pretty interesting tidbit about the nature of wood fuel

Back