• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoke roasted whole New York - Pron included

smokinbadger

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Thanks to all of you who gave me advice on how to prepare this hunk of meat. Here's what I bought:

I hit it with a dry rub I put together from kosher salt, black pepper, onion and garlic powder and paprika:

I let the meat sit overnight in the fridge.

This afternoon, I built a fire using cherry wood in the Klose. I gave the meat a quick sear over the firebox:

Then I moved it over to the smoker at 325F.

After about 1:15, it was up to 120F internal temp, so I pulled it off and let it rest for 20 minutes in foil. Here's what it looked like just before slicing:

I think it turned out pretty well:

I had lots left over, so I sliced most of it up for roast beef sandwiches:

Overall, I was very pleased with how this turned out. I like prime rib, but a lot of the time, other than the rim of really tasty meat, I find the core of the roast to be kind of boring and chewy. This was really tender and moist all the way through. For $3.99 a pound, I think I'll pick this over prime rib most every time.

What a beautiful hunk of meat. Nice job.
Good find at that price too.
I like to do a whole NY strip roast instead of a Prime rib too.
$4.00 a pound is outstanding. I have not found anywhere close to that recently.

cant beat that price! sometimes krogers will have 'em that cheap but it's always "select" grade. dang that looks good!

Very nice, have never seen a NY roast before. At that price you can cook those all day. Around here brisket falt are alot more than that.

Overall, I was very pleased with how this turned out. I like prime rib, but a lot of the time, other than the rim of really tasty meat, I find the core of the roast to be kind of boring and chewy. This was really tender and moist all the way through. For $3.99 a pound, I think I'll pick this over prime rib most every time.

I agree with you on prime rib. You could've taken those cut steaks and returned them to the fire box to get some sear on them.

What a beautiful hunk of meat. Nice job.
Good find at that price too.
I like to do a whole NY strip roast instead of a Prime rib too.
$4.00 a pound is outstanding. I have not found anywhere close to that recently.
Looks great!!!! I WISH I could find it for that price....

Back