Newb from NJ and my first fatty

janzik

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Hey, everybody. I've been reading the forum for a couple of days now and everyone has been a wealth of information. Thanks for everything so far!

I was given a UDS from my wife/kids for Father's day this year. I've done a few things on it so far (brisket, small chicken, pork shoulder). I'm still learning how to get everything right and I learn more each time I use it.

10477368_10204231627895364_6605292716471815776_n.jpg

This afternoon, I picked up a package of sweet Italian sausage, removed the casing, molded it and stuffed it with Gorgonzola, caramelized onions and chopped bacon. I fully intended on this being half the size it was and saving the second half of sausage for a cream cheese, shredded cheddar, bacon, caramelized onion mix, but I realized I overstuffed it and had to use the second half of sausage as a lid to seal this beast up. I then topped it with the remainder of the chopped bacon. I wrapped it in plastic and threw it in the freezer for right now. I'll take it out in the morning or later tonight and move to the fridge before I put it on the UDS tomorrow.

When you stuff your fatties, what method do you use? Do you make a flattened piece and then form it into a log after filling? Do you flatten it on a bacon weave and then roll? Do you have the log formed and then open it up like a sub/hoagie roll?

10563066_10204536821205006_4559237927798913608_n.jpg

Welcome to the Brethren!
For fatties, everyone does them different. I roll the sausage out inside of a one gallon baggie, cut the baggie open. Fill my fatty piston, shoot the filling onto the sausage, wrap...the wrap in a bacon weave.
here's an old post of a breakfast fatty... http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2009/10/breakfast-fatty.html

Good luck with yours and again... welcome to the forum!

Welcome aboard the BBQ Brethren Janzik, glad to have you here.

I hope to see you in the Q-Talk forum soon. You'll find help on almost every topic from cooking your first Pork Butt to curing and smoking your own ham and bacon.

If you can't find the topic you need help with, or have questions about, just start a new thread in "Q-Talk". There are many people with years of experience that are willing to answer your questions and guide you in the right direction.

Back