Keeping 1,000 Boxed Servings Hot(ish) in Transport

PaulstheRibList

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Breathren,

I have an opportunity to cook for 1,000 folks for lunch. I'll need to box the lunches up and the client will take them to the lunch site.

So, I'm exploring ideas on how to prep and transport large quantities of boxes without them getting too cold in the process.

What I think would be the easiest to

What I've come up with so far is assembling the, say, Pulled Pork Sandwiches with beans and slaw in a Clamshell, with beans and slaw, and pack the clamshells in a cardboard box where they are fairly tight, and close up the lid, so there is no air movement around the boxes. That should give them a fighting chance to keep warm for a while.

> Should I put the Bean's will be in a 4 oz styrofoam container with a lid, or just put in the pocket in the clamshell?
> I'm thinking that wrapping the sandwich in foil will help keep some heat in?
> I'm finding out if they eat all in one wave, or if we can split it into a pair of 500s.

I'd love some ideas from the Breathren.

Thanks

I'd be taking all supplies to their location and doing assembly of boxes on site. No way I'd expect the boxes to be anywhere near warm by the time they arrive on site. I did this one time on site for 250 people and it was all three of us could do to pull it off in a reasonable time. I'd have plenty of help too if I were you.

Sounds sketchy at best.

Food safety regs dictate that you, the cook are responsible for getting the food to the masses at 140F or above.
Once those boxes leave your control, you are done for.

I tend to agree with SPL, in addition, what do you plan to cook this lunch on? Assuming 1/3lb per person, with a 50% loss in cooking, you are looking at 75 butts at 9lbs each. That's a lot of damn meat.

I tend to agree with SPL, in addition, what do you plan to cook this lunch on? Assuming 1/3lb per person, with a 50% loss in cooking, you are looking at 75 butts at 9lbs each. That's a lot of damn meat.

Yep! That's a lot of pork! The sandwich total is now 900.

I can cook that many butts in one smoke on my Myron Mixon 72xc. And I have room to hold them in my two CVAPs. I may buy another used CVAP (or a new regular warmer) to be able to hold the beans there rather than in cambro's. The chicken leg's will take two rounds to do 900, which I will do that morning before assembly.

I think I have a plan on boxing the whole set with 2 setup lines and about 10 people, in 30 minutes. Pull the butts before, set up 2 lines, each item/step having a dedicated person, along with people to move all the full pans from the warmers to the plating stations. That's 3 boxes per minute per person.

I'll do a test this weekend during another event.

Should be exciting!

Yep! That's a lot of pork! The sandwich total is now 900.

I can cook that many butts in one smoke on my Myron Mixon 72xc. And I have room to hold them in my two CVAPs. I may buy another used CVAP (or a new regular warmer) to be able to hold the beans there rather than in cambro's. The chicken leg's will take two rounds to do 900, which I will do that morning before assembly.

I think I have a plan on boxing the whole set with 2 setup lines and about 10 people, in 30 minutes. Pull the butts before, set up 2 lines, each item/step having a dedicated person, along with people to move all the full pans from the warmers to the plating stations. That's 3 boxes per minute per person.

I'll do a test this weekend during another event.

Should be exciting!

Still planning transport boxes or assemble on site? Take some pics (as if you'd have time LOL) sharing some documentation of timing would be cool to see also when it's all done.

Still planning transport boxes or assemble on site? Take some pics (as if you'd have time LOL) sharing some documentation of timing would be cool to see also when it's all done.

We have to assemble off site. It's just a couple of minutes of away. We will assemble, box, put in the van for them to bring over and enjoy!

I'm sure we will take a pic or two! #FunFunHardWork

Back