Cooker/Smoker for Volunteer Fire Dept.

Another volunteer fire fighter here, one important question, where are you going to store the smoker when you are not using it? That can make a big difference. Since can Jackie handle the weather better than others. And, you also have to figure out how to prevent it from being stolen if it is stored outside.
I have a humphreys down east beast with the slide out water pan. I can fit 8 large butts or 12 small ones with the thermometer removed. With the drop in pan you can get 2 more large butts or 3 more small ones.

Check 270 smokers, they are in your area and may give you a discount.

Can you possibly rent for the one big event every year, then buy something more appropriate for everyday use?

You should check this grill out, Smokin Brothers 72" Light Commercial Pellet Grill. It's retail is right at your budget but I imagine they would cut you a good deal for being a FD. It is over 2000 sq inches of cooking space, has the Savannah Stoker controller, has an insulated fire box for colder weather cooks and should handle your needs.

You should check this grill out, Smokin Brothers 72" Light Commercial Pellet Grill. It's retail is right at your budget but I imagine they would cut you a good deal for being a FD. It is over 2000 sq inches of cooking space, has the Savannah Stoker controller, has an insulated fire box for colder weather cooks and should handle your needs.

100% agree! A fantastic option :)

That looks like a solid option for sure!

How does stuff cooked on a pellet smoker taste compared to Charcoal or wood? Ive never used one.

Sounds like pigdude has pretty much what you are looking for. Search for the following:
Large 4'x6' grill Custom made, ALL Stainless Steel 304

Granted, you may have to drive a bit to get it, but consider how much paying freight will limit what you can afford buying new from an OEM.

How does stuff cooked on a pellet smoker taste compared to Charcoal or wood? Ive never used one.

Another factor with the SB72 is it has a small footprint, for storage when not in use. Pellet grills with a good controller, like the Savannah, make food just as good as charcoal or stick burner. It's just a different flavor, not as harsh as charcoal and cleaner and a little lighter than a stick burner. Some actually prefer the pellet flavor. The Smokin Brothers web site is messed up right now, they are making a big upgrade but you can check them out on facebook and youtube. They offer a very good product for the price and are a small family owned company that has been in business for years. By the way I have no affiliation with them, just think they make a great product.

This question will surely spark a heated debate. Seems like guys that are all in with their pellet grills claim the taste is great and some are still on the quest of trying to produce more smoke flavor from their smokers.
My experience as I've owned both, as far as imparted smoke flavor pellets don't even come close to the to the flavor of charcoal and wood.
Pellets are a good alternative to wood and charcoal smokers but in my opinion they're a world apart when it comes to results.

I'd consider a KBQ (maybe 2?), though I'm not sure it's up to your capacity requirement. www.kbq.us . Nominally 60 lbs. Makes great Q, but it is just a smoker. Small footprint, easy to store.

Awesome suggestions!

I'm strongly considering the Assassin 24. Looks like it checks all the boxes, right at our max budget, easy to use, and should give great results.

Back